Windows 7 HOW DO I RECOVER THE FILES THAT WERE MOVED TO THE ''FOUND'' FOLDER?

Ohplease

Hey,

I need some help.

I plugged in my kingston pen drive and I decided that this time I would let Windows 7 do a scan on it. Well, it scanned my drive and it deleted a bunch of important documents. It said that it moved them to a folder called "Found" (or something like that) and it said that the folder is on the device (at least I thought that it said that). I have searched forever and I can't find the "Found" folder anywhere. Please help me.

Thanks so much.

Alright everyone. I just found the folder. Now it says that they are all recoverd file fragments. They are .chk.

What do I do now?

Hi

The found folder is probably in the root directory of the drive scanned.
They are created when you run scan-disk on a corrupted drive.
They are system hidden files, so in order the see them you will have to turn off Hide Hidden or System Files in folder options.

This seems to be something that happens when scanning a flash drive quite often, and it seems that it isn't a good idea to do so when they have data on them.

If you find the "Found" folder come back and let us know if you found your data in it.

One last suggestion, the first rule of computing is "Never have any important files in only one location".

Hi

You got back before I got done typing.

Check this out, I have no experience with this myself.

Recover CHK Files

If the files are all the same extension like .doc or .txt try just changing the extension on one of them a see what happens. Do the files have names before the .chk extension?

That would help a lot!

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. I tried to download the Recover check files, but it says that my computer is missing a file (or something like that). I will take another look at it and let you know what it says. Any other suggestions. What a pain.

Hi

You got back before I got done typing.

Check this out, I have no experience with this myself.

Recover CHK Files

If the files are all the same extension like .doc or .txt try just changing the extension on one of them a see what happens. Do the files have names before the .chk extension?

That would help a lot!

Mike

Mike, did I post this in the correct location?

Hi

They are system hidden files, so in order the see them you will have to turn off Hide Hidden or System Files in folder options.

This seems to be something that happens when scanning a flash drive quite often, and it seems that it isn't a good idea to do so when they have data on them.

If you find the "Found" folder come back and let us know if you found your data in it.

One last suggestion, the first rule of computing is "Never have any important files in only one location".

Mike,

I am trying to use the Filechk, but I am not sure how to place files in its directory. How do I do that?

Thanks so much.

As Mike mentions, the .chk file might be recoverable or might just be a bunch of junk that was lost from even earlier file deletions.

What type of files did you have on the pen drive?

Have you tried opening any of them with notepad to see if you could tell anything about them?

There are some .chk files on my system in different directories, but they were not put there by chkdsk.

As Mike mentions, the .chk file might be recoverable or might just be a bunch of junk that was lost from even earlier file deletions.

What type of files did you have on the pen drive?

Have you tried opening any of them with notepad to see if you could tell anything about them?

There are some .chk files on my system in different directories, but they were not put there by chkdsk.

Most of the files were .doc and .docx. I also had a few text files.

Do you know what it means when FileCHK says "directroy"?

Hi friend,File deletion and corruption is very common. Sometimes due formatting/reformatting the hard drives, reinstalling windows, hardware corruption, virus attacks and many other reasons there for files corruption and deletion. But still you can recover deleted files by using file recovery tool Link Removed - Invalid URL. This tool is very effective and provides complete recovery of files and other documents.You can easily download the free trial version of file recovery software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Hi, I have turn off "Hide Protected Operating System files" and checked "show hidden files, folders and drives" on the folder option but nothing. I still can not see the "Found" folder on my external hard drive. Looked everywhere, any other suggestions on what else to do? I also have the same problem, I scanned my external hard drive using the "Error Checking" and windows has also told me that some files were corrupted or what not and send to the "FOUND" folder that I can NOT find :(

Please help?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom