Windows 8.1 How do I repartition my 80 GB Laptop HDD?

Abdul Basit Mehtab

I have recently bought a "Dell Latitude D620" Laptop PC with an 80 GB hard disk capacity. But now I want to repartition it's hard drive so that it would go according to my needs/requirements.
Here's what I've planned:
I will be making two partitions, one for the OS (I will be replacing the factory installed Windows 7 Ultimate with Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit) and the other one for my data, both will be equally divided into 40 GB sizes since 80 GB is the maximum capacity.
Is this two partition configuration better? Any suggestions will be appreciated and please make it urgent...

Thanks all...

I remember the Dell Latitude D620… they were all recalled for faulty workman-ship. If it really is a d620 then it doesn't support windows 7 (or even Vista) because they were XP only and I find it astonishing that anyone would try to put Windows 8.1 onto an 8 year old second hand laptop.

Put Linux on it instead or better yet give it away and buy yourself a real computer.

Just a general thought on partitioning--there are certain arguments for putting the OS and software in a partition separate from your user files. However, every time you partition a space, you introduce constraints and inefficiencies for using the space. Long before you fill the partition, you will run into situations where the free space remaining constrains doing something (many processes require much larger temporary space). The partition has no flexibility to deal with needs as they arise.

Also, whatever allocation you pick between the partitions will never make the best use of the total capacity, especially if you arbitrarily split the space in half. If you start with a humungous drive that you will never come close to filling, this isn't an issue. But if you start with a small drive, partitioning will make the capacity constraints worse.

It doesn't sound like you plan to do the kinds of things for which partitioning is important (like a dual boot). Within the capacities of laptop drives and for the type of use it sounds like you are planning, you might be better off not partitioning (with the exception of something like a protected recovery partition).

You could use acronis disk partition without even formatting the entire drive

Sent from my iPhone using WindowsForum

Back
Top Bottom