Windows 10 How do I stop non-password accounts auto-launching?

wiganken

On both my Windows 8.1 PC and my windows 10 (Home, 64-bit, Version 1803) Laptop I have three user accounts. The following problem affects both machines. Two of the accounts have passwords but the other account is for visitors and is named ‘Visitor’. I would like this ‘Visitor’ not to have a password since it is for visitor’s use only and it is a ‘Standard’ user account with no Administrator privileges. The problem is that Windows remembers the last user and if that user was ‘Visitor’, because it has no password, the same profile automatically launches when Windows starts again. This does not happen if the last user was one of the other two password protected accounts. I should add that the Windows 8.1 ‘Guest’ account behaves the same way and adding a password is not possible. The ability to add a password is why I created the ‘Visitor’ account and adding a simple password, e.g. abc, to the account gives me what I want which is to be presented with the Log-in screen showing all three users without auto launching any of them. I don’t mind the screen showing the last user as long as I can see the other two in order to choose.

Question – After a non-password user has been using the PC/Laptop how do I stop this (‘Visitor’ or ‘Guest’) account from auto launching at next start-up?

I have ticked the “user must enter a username and password to use this computer” box but this has not helped. Any suggestions please?

Solution
Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

There is a value called dontdisplaylastusername double click the value name and change it to 1 and reboot. The computer won't remember the last logon.
Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

There is a value called dontdisplaylastusername double click the value name and change it to 1 and reboot. The computer won't remember the last logon.

Solution
I tried that and it was worse. It made it so that I was not presented with a choice of users to pick from. It just showed the last user (counter-intuitively weird) so I was forced to log-in on that account (I am Administrator) and then go back into the reg editor and put it back to '0'. Phew!

I reckon I'll live with the minor irritation. After all it is the 'Visitor' that has the tiny effort of entering an 'abc' type PW. I was just trying to get it perfect but, as we know, Windows isn't.

Thanks anyway.