Windows 7 How do I swap out my C drive?

Hello,

I guess I need a way to copy my current C drive to a new drive so that the new drive can replace the C drive. Or perhaps there’s some alternate way to replace the C drive with a newer and larger drive. I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rusty

Welcome Rusty,
You can clone your Win 7 install and restore the clone to the new drive.
A good free tool for this is Clonezilla Live.
Clonezilla Live runs off a CD or USB flash drive.
You boot to it to use.
Clonezilla - About

Download the .iso from this page
Clonezilla - Downloads

The i486 one is multipurpose.

and burn to a CD or install on a USB flash drive using the directions on the home page.

I've used this method to migrate my Win 7 install to a larger drive and documented it on another forum
Adventures with Clonezilla and PM 8 - Scot's Newsletter Forums

I've also created a guide to using Clonezilla and posted on the same forum
A guide to using Clonezilla - Scot's Newsletter Forums

This info should help get you started.
Remember to backup any important data.

Adapt this info to your own situation.
I can help fill in the blanks if I knew more about your situation like drive info, computer info and whether we are talking multiple partitions etc.

Last edited:
Thanks!!! It's a new WD 220 Gig Sata drive (do I install the drive first??) that will replace the current C dirve which is old and I think a 120 Gig drive. It has a fresh install of Windows 07 64bit PHE.

OK, time to read, read, read...

Rusty

Edit I'll check back...

Thanks!!! It's a new WD 220 Gig Sata drive (do I install the drive first??) that will replace the current C dirve which is old and I think a 120 Gig drive. It has a fresh install of Windows 07 64bit PHE.

OK, time to read, read, read...

Rusty

Edit I'll check back...
Once you have an image made you can swap out the drives and restore it to the new drive.

Back