How do i use a 64gb sdxc card on my windows 7 64bit laptop?

James1981

Hi, i have just bought a sandisk 64gb extreme pro sdxc memory card for my camera, it works fine in the camera and saves pics to it, but every time i open it in windows it tells me i have to format the card, when i do format it, it goes through the whole process and then tells me the operation cannot complete.

I know the card is formatted as exfat, does windows 7 not support this?

my laptop uses windows 7 64bit.

Can anyone please advise as i am not sure how i am going to get any pictures in the future onto my laptop.

thanks

James

whs

Extraordinary Member
Windows 7 supposedly supports exFat, but it seems to be a real pita. exFat is really only used by Mac systems. Check whether the camera supports any other formats - e.g. Fat32.

Pauli

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
I have a somewhat same kind of problem. All these compatible gadgets aren't all that compatible. I decided to use a separate reading device, a most simple card reader, where I insert my memory card, and then plug it to my computer. Works fine. Got tired of "Nikon and Windows fancies" since they didn't work.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.