Windows 7 How do you get GTA IV to work in Win 7?????

make sure you run the installer in compatibility mode with vista or xp sp2

also another member, sonic, recommended this, and he says it's the official microsoft solution for non-working installlers:

1.Click the Start button Link Removed - Invalid URL, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
2.Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Link Removed - Invalid URL In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.
3.In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt: reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\Disabled Sessions /va /f

4.Press Enter to install the solution.
5.If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure.

This is the official Microsoft solution for non-working installers.

also another member, sonic, recommended this, and he says it's the official microsoft solution for non-working installlers:

1.Click the Start button Link Removed - Invalid URL, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
2.Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Link Removed - Invalid URL In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.
3.In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt: reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\Disabled Sessions /va /f

4.Press Enter to install the solution.
5.If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure.

This is the official Microsoft solution for non-working installers.

Last edited:
thanks for saying it twice. and it doesn;t work...

C:\Windows\System32>reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\Disabled Sessions /va /f
ERROR: Invalid syntax.
Type "REG DELETE /?" for usage.

now i've got a new prob...when i try to go on the internet (in game) at the internet cafe during the mission "logging on" gta iv crashes to desktop...has anyone else experienced this? i can't even move forward in the game as a result

This is the way I had to do it

First off changing the compatibility mode on the DVD-ROM did not work for me (i am running 64bit version), so I had to copy DVD disk 1 to a folder on my desktop. Then change the setup file setup.exe compatibility mode to vista and run as administrator. Then go into the redistrabutable folder on DVD1 and run both vcredist.exe and xliveredist.exe. This worked for me.

To run the game change all the .exe files found in programfiles(x86)/rockstargames/tgaIV folder to windows 2000 compatibility mode and run as admin. Then to start the game run the LaunchGTAIV.exe file and dont try and run it from the social club application, it simply will not work that way.

Hope this helps.

now i've got a new prob...when i try to go on the internet (in game) at the internet cafe during the mission "logging on" gta iv crashes to desktop...has anyone else experienced this? i can't even move forward in the game as a result

stop using the non working crack.

Last edited:
I have a Legit copy of GTA 4 and I got it running today with some minimal SecuROM issues (I think XP mode, Admin Privelidges and a reboot was required though) and Xlive works. You need to get the update separately if you go and use the legit mode: Grand Theft Auto IV - Title Update for Windows - LIVE update Or else when you go to Live! it will try to update and once you exit the updater is going to tell you it's incompatible with the OS.

If you don't have a legal copy though, don't bother. Just get a legit copy. This might be the very first game I've played that does it, but I was able to use one copy on like all 6 PCs on this network. Thank you Rockstar / SecuROM / whoever is responsible for that.

stop using the non working crack.

i bought this game from best buy.

so an update to the situation. i reinstalled the game and patched it up to version 1.0.1 and now i've passed the internet cafe mission without it crashing. that said, i believe there is a problem with the update patch to 1.0.2

if anyone else is using win7 x64 and has patched the game to 1.0.2 let me know if you can use the internet cafe computers.

i'm going to leave my game patched to 1.0.1 for now until the issue (if it exists) is resolved.

only prob with doing that is that now i have to stay offline mode for gfwl, which sucks, i hope version 1.0.3 comes out soon

I'm running Windows 7 Build 7000 x64. I'm near certain that yes, the entire game is playable - I haven't had any issues. That being said I can't remember if I actually got on the internet cafe computers in W7, but I know I got on the police car computers. I also have Games for Windows Live! working.

I'm running Windows 7 Build 7000 x64. I'm near certain that yes, the entire game is playable - I haven't had any issues. That being said I can't remember if I actually got on the internet cafe computers in W7, but I know I got on the police car computers. I also have Games for Windows Live! working.

have you patched GTA IV to version 1.0.2?

please test the internet cafe computers if you have

Would those concerned, in this thread, please have a look at the site rules regarding pirated material and cracks.

Would those concerned, in this thread, please have a look at the site rules regarding pirated material and cracks.

"No Software Piracy: You agree by posting on this site you will not post links or discuss in any way, ways to pirate or illegally download any proprietary or commercial software. (Example: Windows 7). This site is based on discussion and support for this kind of software, not stealing it. There are no exceptions to this policy. You will be banned, and you will be IP blocked from our site."

as much as i know we are not discussing in any way where to get a crack or posting links to it (i will remove the picture just in case). i am just telling people they are having problems with the game because of a non working illegal copy that they have. they asked for support and i did my best to answer the questions. i will stop posting about this now just in case. but yeah i specificly did not post any direct links or tell people how to get a crack i simply stated that some people need a working one to play it normally.

When I try installing, I get a message that I don't have access to change the Windows\winsxs folder. I tried installing the C++ Redistributable directly from Microsoft (I believe this is what the installer was trying to install at that point). I ran the original setup in XP compatibility, but I can't get the actual game to run. I get the message "SecuLauncher: failed to start application. [2000]" I've tried launching the game in all compatibility modes.

CAN WE PLEASE GET BACK ON TOPIC??? THE TOPIC IS: HOW DO YOU GET GTA IV TO INSTALL IN WINDOWS 7 BETA?

At the GRAND THEFT AUTO IV SETUP and I push "Install Grand Theft Auto IV PC" and I get this pop up:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

When I change the Autorun.exe (and the setup.exe's in the folders too) in GTA IV Disc 1's Compatibility to Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista, I get this same error.

What do I need to do to install GTA4 on my Windows 7 beta build 7000??

Hm, I reinstalled through Steam and had no problems whatsover, didn't even have to mess around with compatitibily modes. Just downloaded and ran it.

Cannot run game- help please

I dont have a orginal copy.
It is installed by compatibilty mode win2000,
appled patch 1.0.2.0 and then
appled crack for 1.0.2.0 and i trying to run the game from RGSC.
I skip login then press play in RGSC

then i getting this message: GTAIV FATAL ERROR: WINDOWS VISTA: Need to have sp1 or higher to proceed

I tried a Bybasslauncher but still same message.
I also made sure that launcherGTAIV was set on win2000 Compatible still same message

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I said fuck it. I went back to Vista. I wanna see Vista SP2 and plus, all my clients are on Vista or XP, I can't be on an OS that's a year away... two years away until it floods the market and everyone is on it.

I dont have a orginal copy.
It is installed by compatibilty mode win2000,
appled patch 1.0.2.0 and then
appled crack for 1.0.2.0 and i trying to run the game from RGSC.
I skip login then press play in RGSC

then i getting this message: GTAIV FATAL ERROR: WINDOWS VISTA: Need to have sp1 or higher to proceed

I tried a Bybasslauncher but still same message.
I also made sure that launcherGTAIV was set on win2000 Compatible still same message

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Downloaded game from here {link deleted by zvit}

Got patch and crack from here {link deleted by zvit}

dont post links to warez >.>. and run the gta 4.exe in windows xp compatibilty OR dont run it in vista at all and leave it alone. it works fine for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back