Windows 7 How repair corrupt files - System File Checker

Nisko

I run System File Checker as an administrator and, when the scan is finished, a message says it found corrupt files that it could not fix - refer to the CBS.log. The original installation disk is in the drive as I run sfc /scannow. That used to work with Windows XP. In addition, with Windows XP, I changed the path in the Registry so that SFC would look to my hard drive for the directory I386. I'd like to know how to repair my files using both methods. Hope someone can help. Thanks...........

If you need to check what is wrong, you can reference this Microsoft site. It shows how to pull information out of a CBS.log which keeps track of the SFC scan messages.

In that log, the POQ (or something like that) entries are the SFC scans and the messages about which files were not replaceable are usually near the end.

If you are having problems with system files being corrupted, you need to find out why. If you had some type of power outage or a virus or some other know incident that could explain it. But the corruption is not good.

Once you find out which files are having problems, you can try to replace them or end up doing a Repair Install, but if you have SP1 installed, it might complicate the situation.

This system works much better than XP, the backup files are already on the drive. It is just some of the files for some reason do not meet the smell test when comparing.

Back
Top Bottom