Windows 7 How to access $ shares

m3d0c

Is there a way to access the $ shares in Windows 7? I have a Vista machine as well as 2003 and I could access the C$ shares from either machine. With Windows 7 I am not allowed access to these shares.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a way to access the $ shares in Windows 7? I have a Vista machine as well as 2003 and I could access the C$ shares from either machine. With Windows 7 I am not allowed access to these shares.

If I understand you correctly, in your network ( presume home) of 3 PCs with Win 7 beta, Win Vista and Windows Server 2003 you are able to access the administrative shares between the VISTA and Windows Server 2003 in both directions.
But I am not sure if you meant you can or cannot access either of these shares of the older Windows systems FROM Win7 PC.

I guess your problem is your inability to access Windows Admin share created in the Win 7 PC from the VISTA and Windows Server 2003 Systems.

For the last problem you could tweak the resgistry in Windows 7:
  1. Click start ( Windows Globe icon)
  2. Type: regedit in the "Search Programs and files" box
  3. Press the [ENTER/Return] Key
  4. In the left, browse to the following Hive >KEYS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system\
  5. Export and Save that before editing just in case you run into problem
  6. Right-click a blank area in the right pane of step 4
  7. Click New
  8. Click DWORD Value
  9. Type: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
  10. Double-click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
  11. Type 1 into the box
  12. Click OK
  13. Restart your computer
Hope this helps.

C$ is supposed to be a hidden share that the user cannot see but the system can.

Thanks cmn. That did the trick

can you post a screenshot of your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\system\ ?

I'm having the same problem, trying to access adminshares from an XP pc on the same workgroup.

Thanks!

Registry Entry

Here you go...

can you post a screenshot of your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\system\ ?

I'm having the same problem, trying to access adminshares from an XP pc on the same workgroup.

Thanks!

TCP/IP NetBIOS helper service

If the TCP/IP NetBIOS helper service is set to disabled, set it to start manual and activate/ start the service.

If you can succesfully access your NAS SMB share(s), you could set the service to start automatic.

The netbios helper service enables support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) service and NetBIOS name resolution.

If you want more info about the NetBIOS helper service, search the internet.

After changing the security settings, it worked in this case!

Back