Windows 7 How to access $ shares

m3d0c

Is there a way to access the $ shares in Windows 7? I have a Vista machine as well as 2003 and I could access the C$ shares from either machine. With Windows 7 I am not allowed access to these shares.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a way to access the $ shares in Windows 7? I have a Vista machine as well as 2003 and I could access the C$ shares from either machine. With Windows 7 I am not allowed access to these shares.

If I understand you correctly, in your network ( presume home) of 3 PCs with Win 7 beta, Win Vista and Windows Server 2003 you are able to access the administrative shares between the VISTA and Windows Server 2003 in both directions.
But I am not sure if you meant you can or cannot access either of these shares of the older Windows systems FROM Win7 PC.

I guess your problem is your inability to access Windows Admin share created in the Win 7 PC from the VISTA and Windows Server 2003 Systems.

For the last problem you could tweak the resgistry in Windows 7:
  1. Click start ( Windows Globe icon)
  2. Type: regedit in the "Search Programs and files" box
  3. Press the [ENTER/Return] Key
  4. In the left, browse to the following Hive >KEYS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system\
  5. Export and Save that before editing just in case you run into problem
  6. Right-click a blank area in the right pane of step 4
  7. Click New
  8. Click DWORD Value
  9. Type: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
  10. Double-click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
  11. Type 1 into the box
  12. Click OK
  13. Restart your computer
Hope this helps.

C$ is supposed to be a hidden share that the user cannot see but the system can.

Thanks cmn. That did the trick

can you post a screenshot of your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\system\ ?

I'm having the same problem, trying to access adminshares from an XP pc on the same workgroup.

Thanks!

Registry Entry

Here you go...

can you post a screenshot of your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\system\ ?

I'm having the same problem, trying to access adminshares from an XP pc on the same workgroup.

Thanks!

TCP/IP NetBIOS helper service

If the TCP/IP NetBIOS helper service is set to disabled, set it to start manual and activate/ start the service.

If you can succesfully access your NAS SMB share(s), you could set the service to start automatic.

The netbios helper service enables support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) service and NetBIOS name resolution.

If you want more info about the NetBIOS helper service, search the internet.

After changing the security settings, it worked in this case!

Back
Top Bottom