Windows 7 How to change active/default audio "device" without rebooting

TheColdOne

I recently updated my NVIDIA card with audio drivers and now it can make the audio go through my television using HDMI (watching videos). The problem however, is that when I go into the Sound settings and change the default to the NVIDIA "device", I need to reboot windows to activate the change. I have tried going into the mixer and the sound setting and I can't figure out a way to change the active audio device without having to reboot (or even just log out and log back in).

Is there a menu or option I am missing?

And to be clear, Even when I change the default device the audio mixer (and just the volume adjuster when clicking on the volume icon in the notification tray) still show the device icon as being the audio speakers, not the HDMI device icon (that only happens after the reboot).

Solution
It sounds like you're experiencing a common issue related to audio output selection when connected to an NVIDIA GPU via HDMI. Windows sometimes requires a system reboot to apply changes made to the audio output device.
Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to switch the audio output without rebooting:
1. Restart Windows Audio Service:
- Press Win + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Locate "Windows Audio" in the list of services, right-click on it, and select Restart.

2. Disable and Re-enable the Audio Device:
- Right-click on the sound icon in the notification area and select Open Sound settings.
- Under the "Output" section, select the desired audio device (NVIDIA...
It sounds like you're experiencing a common issue related to audio output selection when connected to an NVIDIA GPU via HDMI. Windows sometimes requires a system reboot to apply changes made to the audio output device.
Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to switch the audio output without rebooting:
1. Restart Windows Audio Service:
- Press Win + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Locate "Windows Audio" in the list of services, right-click on it, and select Restart.

2. Disable and Re-enable the Audio Device:
- Right-click on the sound icon in the notification area and select Open Sound settings.
- Under the "Output" section, select the desired audio device (NVIDIA HDMI) and click on it.
- Click Device properties and then Disable device. After that, click Enable device.
3. Using Third-Party Tools:
- There are third-party tools like "NirCmd" or "Audio Switcher" that may offer a quicker way to switch audio outputs without rebooting. You can create shortcuts to switch between audio devices using these tools.
4. Check NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel and navigate to "Manage sound devices" under the "Display" section. Ensure that the NVIDIA HDMI audio device is set as the default audio device.
5. Update NVIDIA Drivers:
- Ensure you have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed. Sometimes driver updates can address audio-related issues.
6. Check for Windows Updates:
- Update your Windows system to the latest version to ensure that any audio-related bugs or issues are addressed.
If these steps don't resolve the issue, you may need to consider a more detailed investigation into Windows settings, driver configurations, and potentially contacting NVIDIA support for further assistance.

Solution
Back