Windows 10 How to change "date created" on a .MP4 file?

CuteBettina

Hey guys, I've got an .MP4 video file that's 30seconds long. It says it was created in 2013 even though I've tried copying it and even converting it from .MP4 to .AVI and .MOV.

I want it to say it was created in 2016...

Does anyone know what I can do?

Thanks!

• Open a powershell prompt (click on start button and type powershell)
  • Change directory or use the full path of the file
  • So if the files are on your desktop you could type cd $env:Userprofile\Desktop
  • Lets assume my test file is myfile.txt
  • Type Set-ItemProperty .\myfile.txt -Name CreationTime -Value "9/1/2016 10:30AM"
That will set the creation time to 9/1/2016 10:30AM

• Open a powershell prompt (click on start button and type powershell)
  • Change directory or use the full path of the file
  • So if the files are on your desktop you could type cd $env:Userprofile\Desktop
  • Lets assume my test file is myfile.txt
  • Type Set-ItemProperty .\myfile.txt -Name CreationTime -Value "9/1/2016 10:30AM"
That will set the creation time to 9/1/2016 10:30AM

Is it possible for someone to check the real date that a particular file was created if I use this method?

All files contain meta data (data about data) The Set-ItemProperty command lets you edit the meta data fields in this case the creation time.

I just used a different "video converter" app to convert the .MP4 file to another format and when I view the properties of the new file that's been created it says under the "Date created" that it was just created, which is great.

My question is: Which method is more likely to preserve the true creation date of the file, your method or the video converter method?

Thanks so much for your help!

Windows will always set the creation time, so that is the true time according to Windows.

Back