Windows 10 how to change the default action for double-click (the bold font)?

dvrx11

when i double click video files, i want to change from "play with MPC" to "add to MPC playlist"
here is a screenshot
1659354347331.png

Right click on the video file, click on Open with->Choose an other app->click once on the app you want to use as default, click on the bottom Always use this app to open .filetype files and finally press the OK button. You have to repeat this sequence once for every movie file type you use (for ex: .mp4, .mkv, .avi, etc).
After you'll do this, the first option on the pop-up menu that shows when you right click on a video file (the one in bold letters which is called the default app) will change to the newly chosen app.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Right click on the video file, click on Open with->Choose an other app->click once on the app you want to use as default, click on the bottom Always use this app to open .filetype files and finally press the OK button. You have to repeat this sequence once for every movie file type you use (for ex: .mp4, .mkv, .avi, etc).
After you'll do this, the first option on the pop-up menu that shows when you right click on a video file (the one in bold letters which is called the default app) will change to the newly chosen app.

i followed your instructions. it's no good because i'm not changing the app, i'm using the same app but a different action--your method does not default to "add to playlist"

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to that, I thought you want change the default app. I don't know how to do what you realy want.

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to that, I thought you want change the default app. I don't know how to do what you realy want.

no worries, i can't find the solution either--apparently this was possible on XP but not sure about win10/11, i'm thinking it might involve some registry mod

I don't think it is possible because the bold option is equivalent to the double click on file action, which should open the file with the default app. If it would be possible, then a double click on a file would add the file to a play list. But who knows, maybe is possible, despite the fact that, imho, it is not logic from the operating system point of view.

I don't think it is possible because the bold option is equivalent to the double click on file action, which should open the file with the default app. If it would be possible, then a double click on a file would add the file to a play list. But who knows, maybe is possible, despite the fact that, imho, it is not logic from the operating system point of view.

i'm not sure because if it's possible for the dev to create two actions for the context menu, couldn't a user just remove one of those actions? also there is the implication the devs must have designed the app to default to "play with" and not "add to" when they wrote the context menu entry

The Add to MPC-HC playlist option is created by the dev of the MPC app when you choose it as your default player. The Add to MPC-HC playlist is not even available on the pop-up menu when you change the default app. So, I think that only the dev of the app could change this behavior.
There is no such setting in the app.
Of course, it might be possible to play with the registry, if you'd know how, but you would then have to change this manually for every video file type.

already working on a solution: so far, i've found the registry directory for the context menu is here:
Code:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\

there are two entries; for this specific program: "mplayerc64.play," and "mplayerc64.enqueue"
".play" is the "play with MPC" action, and .enqueue is "add to playlist" action. i can just delete .play right now and be done with it, but that approach would put me in technical debt later on, in case i might want to change the default back to play.

modifying at this scope, the change would apply to any file that already gives the option for "play" or "add to" MPC and does not require individual filetype modifications as you've described

so i've found a partial solution, but still looking for a broad answer
thanks for your assistance

That's what I was talking about. You should know, if you don't already do, that before deleting a registry key you can save it to a text file which you could later use to restore the functionality.
Good luck!

Back