Windows 7 How to delete Mcafee Vaults folder

Hardstarburst

Please do not suggest I contact Mcafee on this, I could have backed up and reinstalled Windows 7 in the time I have already wasted dealing with them. I only have one word for them and it is USELESS. I have a Mcafee vaults folder on my desktop I cannot get rid of. The folder was not installed there by a Mcafee product, I did not have any Mcafee products installed at that time. The folder came to be on my desktop because I made an image of a friends laptop drive that was unbootable. After I made the image and stored it on my current computer, I wiped the drive and did a clean reinstall on the laptop. I then recovered from the image my friends files and folders and put them in a data folder on my desktop, where I did a virus scan. Several items were found and removed, and apparently he had a Mcafee program of some type because in the documents folder there was the vaults folder. Now it is on my desktop and it will not delete. I have taken ownership of the file, allowed my user full accesss, and tried some command line stuff to no avail. So can anyone tell me how to make Windows 7 take control of its files and folders and delete the file I want it to? One clue might be that I thought one time I saw somewhere that I have to get permission from some user , not me, had a big long number like s-2241-22368- or something like that. If anyone could point me in the right direction, my nerves would appreciate it...

I see this is a very old thread, but this is still a problem as of September 2022 because Dell is factory installing this piece of crud** on their current machines, so I'm resuscitating this thread for anyone still struggling with it in 2022++.
I Googled and Googled and never found an answer anywhere but after inventing several creative new curse words-- hurled at McAfee-- I figured out a solution:
Open an elevated command prompt (as administrator)
Type: icacls "Full\Path\to\Folder" /reset /T /C
Or for example: icacls "C:\Users\TEMP-DESKTOP-ABC123.000\Documents" /reset /T /C
That doesn't delete it, but it does reset all the NTFS permissions so that you can delete by ordinary means, such as in File Explorer.

** Because McAfee pays them to. Boooo! Shame on you, Dell!!

Have not messed with vaults, but in most cases yes you can take ownership of anything in Windows, provided you are a member of the administrators group and then grant yourself access and subsequently delete files/directories.

I see this is a very old thread, but this is still a problem as of September 2022 because Dell is factory installing this piece of crud** on their current machines, so I'm resuscitating this thread for anyone still struggling with it in 2022++.
I Googled and Googled and never found an answer anywhere but after inventing several creative new curse words-- hurled at McAfee-- I figured out a solution:
Open an elevated command prompt (as administrator)
Type: icacls "Full\Path\to\Folder" /reset /T /C
Or for example: icacls "C:\Users\TEMP-DESKTOP-ABC123.000\Documents" /reset /T /C
That doesn't delete it, but it does reset all the NTFS permissions so that you can delete by ordinary means, such as in File Explorer.

** Because McAfee pays them to. Boooo! Shame on you, Dell!!
Gold Star for Dr. Wizard! Just what I've been looking for over the past week since uninstalling McAfee; now using F-Secure Safe. Your suggestion works, and, is greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing.

This website has a McAfee Removal Tool that might be of interest to others:

Running *.exe McAfee Removal Tool took 5 minutes, however, did not allow removal of the McAfee Vaults folder even after a reboot.

Back