Windows 10 How to enable Rapid mode with version 4.6 Magician software for Samsung Evo 840

Edit: Magician updated to 4.7 but alas no change. The method below still works however. (This is of course running on the RTM version of Windows 10 as we are long past the preview versions)

Anyone who owns a Samsung Evo 840 SSD knows that Rapid mode can not be enabled using versions of Magician software 4.5 and 4.6. under Windows 10. However if you can find a copy of Magician software 4.4 then Rapid mode can be enabled in the Windows 10 environment.
I did find a link to a copy of 4.4 here:
Download Samsung Magician by Samsung

Once you have the 4.4 version installed download the latest copy of Magician software here:
Samsung SSD Support | Samsung SSD US

Simply install the 4.6 version over the top of the 4.4 version. You'll get several prompts and reboots but ultimately it means Rapid mode will still be enabled at the end of it all. Do make sure you exit the Magician software before overwriting, simply right click the taskbar icon and click exit then run 4.7

Do not disable Rapid mode if your using version 4.6 as you won't be able to enable it again and you'll have to repeat the above process to get it back.

I've tested the above procedure using my Evo 840 and it works fine. I do not think this will work for 850 users however.

Last edited:
Did you authenticated your SSD before trying to enable/disable rapid mode from 4.6 version ?

No but this isn't usually a requirement although it's always worth a go. I still think the end result will be the same tho and the Magician software will show no licence available.

Samsung has recently upgraded the Magician software to version 4.7 but disappointingly the same issue occurs.

You can still use the same method of installing Magician 4.4, enabling Rapid mode and then overwriting the install with version 4.7.

They have also updated the benching section too:
4.7.jpg

Good news!

Samsung will be updating their Magician software very soon to include Windows 10:

Samsung SSDHey Ross, thanks for getting in touch. The next update of Magician will address the Windows 10 compatibility issue. The details are being finalised and it will be released as soon as possible for free on our website here - www.samsung.com/SSD
Thanks, Ben from Samsung SSD
Via Facebook.

Samsung have released Magician 4.8 which is now compatible with Windows 10 meaning users can enable Rapid mode. Unfortunately Samsung has placed a limit on how many downloads a day and so currently it's unavailable until at such time this 24hr period is over. Pretty pathetic for such a big company but there we are..
Samsung SSD Support | Samsung SSD

I have been using Magician 4.97 for quite some time, never getting access to Rapid mode,so the prospect of enabling it was exciting. I uninstalled 4.97, downloaded 4.4, rebooted and installed it. I am using a Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB, and 4.4 at first Magician seemed not to find it, perhaps because it was not the first drive it came to.

I was only able to access the benchmarking for the SSD, so I benchmarked it, then installed 4.97 over it. I then had access to to Rapid mode and enabled it, and the difference in macrium backup speed was immediate
My laptop is an MSI CX622QD, with the original 1Tb WD HDD used as a data store and backup location.

Here is my history from Magician - you can see the first benchmark at 07.40 on 26/11/2016, then the post Rapid mode 10 minutes later at 07.50.Thank you for a most useful post

2016-11-26_230440.png

Glad to hear the thread was useful Louisa.. :) Looks like you got quite nice increase with Rapid mode enabled so was definitely worth the try. Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom