Windows 7 How to force immediate WinExplorer automatical refresh?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
Assume I opened WinExplorer for a certain directory say D:\work

Then I take a screen snaphot into a picture file or save a content into a new file from a 3rd program in this directory.

Even after 5 minutes WinExplorer does NOT show the new files.
I always have to click on another folder and then switch to the old folder again.
Then the new files show up on the right pane.

It seems to me that creating a new file does NOT trigger an auto-refresh of WinExplorer.
This was different in WinXP. There the new files were visible within a second.

How can I enable immediate auto-refresh in WinExplorer under Win7

Peter

I was having this same problem and after searching on the web for solutions, found minimal to none. I did manage to fix it however. First, I turned off Windows Search service in the administrative tools link in my start menu. I wasn't totally happy with this fix since I couldn't search my folders anymore. So I restarted Windows Search and unchecked "allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" in the properties window of the drive where my files are located (I have two partitions on my hard drive). This fixes the refresh problem and allows me to search my folders, with one caveat. It won't search Libraries correctly. If I go to the location of the folder on my drive to search, it will search correctly. However, if I try to search a Library, it says "no items matched my search" even if there actually are items that match the search. Since I don't search folders that often, I found this to be an acceptable compromise. Hope this helps people out there.

Back