Windows 7 How to get CMD to run in non-fullscreen mode

baronvonbari

I've been playing around with some batch files, and was trying to get the cmd to run in fullscreen mode. I used the same technique that i used in windows XP, using the line:"reg add HKCU\Console\ /v Fullscreen /t REG_DWORD /d 1" in a batch file to make the cmd go fullscreen by default. Now my cmd seems to not show up at all. I'm wondering if I accidentally broke it, as I now realize that windows 7 wasn't meant to support fullscreen cmd. I'm wondering if anyone could give me a hand with this problem, as it's interfering with my ability to see my programs execute with code::blocks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Michael.

hmmm , the only thing i would say is use system restore back to a date where you didnt alter the registry. They do say dont mess with the reg if you dont no what your changing as this may impact the pc. you can change the width and height of cmd windows however so yo can chanage to a desired size

i haven't been able to delete the regedit, as i don't know where in the registry it's located. I get confused and lost. I've tried using the line: "reg del HKCU\Console\ /v Fullscreen /t REG_DWORD", but have not been able to make this problem disappear.

@patcooke, I can't restore to an earlier system backup point, as my external HDD that had all my files and backups in it was stolen. Some person that shall be described with various expletives decided to go and break into my car. Luckily, he only took my external, and not all of other stuff as well.

again, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

michael

Instead of using a command line for your edit try using the registry editor (regedit). It's safer as if you make a small error in the command line it could have seriously unpredictable results. Goto start, programs and in the search programs box at the bottom enter regedit. Run the regedit program which pops up. In the editor expand the list for HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Then click on the word Console. The display will be like the attached graphic. In the right hand windows scroll down to see the entry for Full Screen. Double click on the words full screen. A small box will pop up and you can enter the value 0 in there. Close the editor. If the entry for full screen is not there then we can help you put it back - let us know what happens

. Capture.JPG

Last edited:
That did the trick, thank you so much :)
I'm definitely writing this down somewhere near my desk in case something like this happens again. Again, thank you so much for your help and support :)

Michael

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom