SavorySilicon

QB Desktop Enterprise 2024 Manufacturering and wholesale.
I have 2 PC, 2 workers. .QBW file located in Onedrive folder, synced to both PC.
Can both PC have the same .QBW company file open, and being edited simultaneously, through Onedrive? Is QB setup to do that? Is that safe? Should 2 PC edit a file in Onedrive at the same time?
QB has a “Multi-User Mode” that I have successfully used, when the file was located offline, on our network, but now I am asking if I can do that with Onedrive instead. QB multiuser mode works perfectly when file is on an office file server, there is no problem there. How do I use the file on the cloud? Do QB users do that, is that normal?
I have no interest in switching to QB Online version, I want to stay with QB Desktop Enterprise 2024 Manufacturering and wholesale.
I am a novice with QB, please do not assume I know any settings, please explain step by step answer, thank you.

Solution
Using QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise in a multi-user environment through OneDrive is not recommended, as cloud storage services like OneDrive do not support simultaneous file access in the way that QuickBooks requires. Here’s a detailed explanation and step-by-step guidance on why this setup is problematic and what alternatives are available:

Understanding the Limitations of Using OneDrive for QuickBooks Multi-User​

1. Simultaneous File Access:
    • QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise requires real-time, simultaneous access to the company file in multi-user mode. OneDrive and similar cloud storage solutions sync files rather than providing real-time simultaneous access, which can lead to data corruption.
    []File...
Using QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise in a multi-user environment through OneDrive is not recommended, as cloud storage services like OneDrive do not support simultaneous file access in the way that QuickBooks requires. Here’s a detailed explanation and step-by-step guidance on why this setup is problematic and what alternatives are available:

Understanding the Limitations of Using OneDrive for QuickBooks Multi-User​

1. Simultaneous File Access:
    • QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise requires real-time, simultaneous access to the company file in multi-user mode. OneDrive and similar cloud storage solutions sync files rather than providing real-time simultaneous access, which can lead to data corruption.
    []File Locking and Sync Conflicts:
    • When two users open and edit the same QuickBooks file simultaneously via OneDrive, sync conflicts can occur. OneDrive may create multiple versions of the file, leading to data inconsistency and potential corruption.
    [
    ]Unsupported Configuration:
    • Intuit (QuickBooks’ developer) specifies that QuickBooks Desktop should not be used with cloud storage services like OneDrive for real-time, multi-user access. It is designed to work in a networked environment with a dedicated server or hosting service.

Alternative Solutions for Multi-User Access in the Cloud​

To safely use QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise in a multi-user setup while leveraging cloud functionality, consider the following alternatives:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)

• Set up a Remote Desktop server where QuickBooks is installed. Users can connect to this server using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to access the QuickBooks file simultaneously.
    • Steps to Set Up Remote Desktop Services:
      1. Setup a Windows Server with Remote Desktop Services (RDS) role.
      2. Install QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise on the RDS server.
      3. Configure User Accounts to allow remote access.
      4. Users connect via Remote Desktop Client from their PCs to use QuickBooks on the server.

2. QuickBooks Hosting Services

[]Use a dedicated QuickBooks hosting service where your QuickBooks installation and data are hosted in a secure, remote environment. This allows multiple users to access the file over the internet. []Steps to Use QuickBooks Hosting:
      1. Choose a QuickBooks Hosting Provider (such as Right Networks, MyQBHost, or Summit Hosting).
      2. Set Up Your Account with the provider.
      3. Migrate Your QuickBooks Data to the hosting environment.
      4. Access QuickBooks via Remote Access provided by the hosting service.

3. VPN with On-Premises Server

[]Set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to securely connect to an on-premises server where your QuickBooks file resides. Users can access the server as if they were on the same local network. []Steps to Set Up a VPN:
      1. Set Up a VPN Server (can be done on an existing server or a dedicated device).
      2. Configure the VPN Client on user PCs.
      3. Ensure QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed and configured on the server.

Step-by-Step Guide for QuickBooks Hosting Service Setup​

Here’s a detailed step-by-step guide to set up QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise with a QuickBooks Hosting Service:
    []Choose a Hosting Provider:
    • Research and select a QuickBooks hosting provider that suits your needs and budget (e.g., Right Networks, MyQBHost, or Summit Hosting).
    [
    ]Contact the Provider:
    • Reach out to the provider to set up an account and discuss your specific requirements.
    []Set Up Hosting Account:
    • Typically, the provider will guide you through setting up your hosting environment.
    [
    ]Migrate Your QuickBooks Data:
    • Prepare your QuickBooks company file for migration.
    • Follow the provider’s instructions for transferring your QuickBooks data to their servers.
    • This often involves securely uploading your .QBW file to the hosting provider.
  2. Access QuickBooks Remotely:
    • The hosting provider will give you the necessary software or web portal to access your QuickBooks installation.
    • You and your team will log in remotely to use QuickBooks as if it were locally installed, but with the added benefit of cloud-based access and multi-user support.

Avoid Direct Use of OneDrive for Real-Time Multi-User Access​

• Do Not Use OneDrive for simultaneous access to the QuickBooks company file.
      • Follow Intuit’s Recommendations: Use supported configurations, like network setups or authorized hosting services, to avoid data corruption and ensure reliable multi-user functionality.

Final Recommendations​

• Avoid Cloud Storage for Multi-User Mode: OneDrive, Google Drive, and similar services do not support real-time, multi-user access for applications like QuickBooks Desktop.
      • Consider Secure Remote Access Solutions: Use Remote Desktop Services, VPNs, or QuickBooks Hosting Providers to ensure safe and efficient multi-user access.
      By following these recommendations, you can ensure that your QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise setup remains secure, reliable, and efficient for your multi-user environment. If you need more detailed guidance on any of these alternatives, feel free to ask!

Solution
Back