Windows 7 How to install an MSI file in admin mode??

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
I have an MSI program that wants to get installed in admin mode, but rt clicking does not yield the option to RUN AS ADMIN....

An EXE file will give me that option.

So How can I accomplish this?????????

You have to run it throug the command prompt

msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional Parameter]
Install Options
</package | /i> <Product.msi>
Installs or configures a product
/a <Product.msi>
Administrative install - Installs a product on the network
/j<u|m> <Product.msi> [/t <Transform List>] [/g <Language ID>]
Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user
</uninstall | /x> <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Uninstalls the product
Display Options
/quiet
Quiet mode, no user interaction
/passive
Unattended mode - progress bar only
/q[n|b|r|f]
Sets user interface level
n - No UI
b - Basic UI
r - Reduced UI
f - Full UI (default)
/help
Help information
Restart Options
/norestart
Do not restart after the installation is complete
/promptrestart
Prompts the user for restart if necessary
/forcerestart
Always restart the computer after installation
Logging Options
/l[i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*] <LogFile>
i - Status messages

You should have the Windows installer lurking somewhere on the computer.
You could try this:
When you right click the .MSI file, select "open with"

In the window that pops up, it may have an item "Windows installer"
This is the needed program. Should it not appear, you can download it, from here
Download details: Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable
and then install.

Hi dave,

I just checked a .msi file by right-clicking on it and Install was in bold at the top and repair was the second item down.

I believe Windows 7 comes with version 4.5 of the Windows Installer. Yes it is I just checked.

I image you could create a shortcut to the msiexec.exe file, and then put the parameters in there

You most certainly could, but you would have to do that for every .msi exec you wanted to run. If the op has the installer on the computer, then it should install Ok. Otherwise , download from the link and install. He will then have no need in the future to do anymore than click the .msi to run it.

Easiest way, but not everyones taste for some reason, is to be logged in as the global administrator, then it will run anyway.

I got it to install with msiexec via command prompt (I actually created a BAT file) BUT I don't know where it installed it.
I got the installED finished window. Now how do I find out where it is installed????????
It also does not appear in my list of installed programs or in my start menu.
I also searched the registry for some key words but found nothing.
The mystery continues.

The issue was NOT that I couldn't run the install BUT that it wanted to be installed with "Run as Administrator".

Rt clicking an MSI file does not give u that option. If I clicked INSTALL it came back and told me it needed to be RUN AS ADMIN.....

I too had one of those MSI which required command line options.

For your case, If you've searched by name or company and can't find it, try downloading this free utility to capture all registry entries and files added to your system.

Take a first Shot, then run the install,then take a second shot and it will open in Notepad. it will tell you what files have be modified and where thjey are located

RegShot 1.8.2

Back