Windows 7 How to install windows 7 RC?

jarrodis

Do I just DL it, and burn the ISO on a DVD and reboot off disk?cause I don't mind reformatting HDD. so can anyone just explain to me how to install it?
thank u

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.com!

You got it! :) Just DL from Microsoft (released on May 5th to the general public), burn to a DVD (I use Nero for all my burning needs but you can use the program of your choosing), insert into optical drive, than boot off the disk and do clean install (as in format your HDD or just the partition you wish to install Windows 7 to if you have multiple partitions).. ;)

As far as preparing for the installation... You should make sure you have all your personal files backed up.. JUST IN CASE.. ;) You should also download any important drivers you know your going to need PRIOR to the installation in case Windows 7 doesn't automatically install/find them, by important drivers I mean things like Chipset and Ethernet.. :)

Finally I would suggest (if your able to) a fresh start with the Windows 7 RC... As in delete all partitions on your HDD then format the entire HDD and create a partition for the Windows 7 installation and a second partition for all your personal files to be stored on.. That way if something goes wrong with 7 a month or two down the road and you end up having to reinstall the RC it won't be much of a hassle since your data is stored on a seperate partition.. Also I just find an OS runs alot smoother if all your data is on a seperate partition..

Good luck with the installation (A clean install only takes about 18 minutes on fairly modern hardware).. Don't be scared to ask for help if you run into any problems..

ok thanks
but I got an email from Microsoft, and I can download windows RC from these links, but I thought its only coming Tuesday?!?
and on the website I can download them so I just want some clearing up, and thanks again

No problem.. The email means you are eligible to download it NOW from either Technet or MSDN.. So follow the links in order to download and your good to go from there.. :) Tuesday's release is to the general public.. it was released a few days ago to Technet and MSDN subscribers.. that's why you got the email.. ;)

:( it says "We're sorry, but downloads are no longer available" I guess I was too late:( I will have to wait till Tuesday then:(

That's odd.. They should still be working.. It might be because their servers went down.. perhaps they haven't gotten them back up yet.. I'd try again a little later on.. ;) Otherwise Tuesday will be the day.. :)

Servers down??

Their servers crashed when the beta was first opened to the public in mid-January because of an unexpected response. It took them a few hours to get things back up and running again. Could the same thing be happening again with the RC? After all, Microsoft is prone to making the same mistakes over and over again.

Their servers crashed when the beta was first opened to the public in mid-January because of an unexpected response. It took them a few hours to get things back up and running again. Could the same thing be happening again with the RC? After all, Microsoft is prone to making the same mistakes over and over again.

It certainly could and most likely WILL happen with the RC.. ;) The demand is at least double that of the Beta's.. :)

jarrodis, I got an email yesterday or today announcing the availability of the RC, also. I just went back and re-read my email and it is specific on the email that I received that MSDN and TechNet Plus members get the RC on Apr 30. (Both of these classifications are $300/yr (or thereabouts) subscription services.) General public (and mere standard TechNet members like myself) must wait until May 5.

jarrodis, I got an email yesterday or today announcing the availability of the RC, also. I just went back and re-read my email and it is specific on the email that I received that MSDN and TechNet Plus members get the RC on Apr 30. (Both of these classifications are $300/yr (or thereabouts) subscription services.) General public (and mere standard TechNet members like myself) must wait until May 5.
Oh OK, I see, so they just tell us about it, how mean making me happy:p oh well Il just wait till Tuesday.
thanks for clearing that up

I'd like to add that you can create a bootable USB key to install Win 7 from within Win 7 beta or Vista using the info at the link below.

I've done this with the beta and it works great. The install seems faster and obviates the need for an optical drive.
This assumes you BIOS supports booting from a USB key (most newer computers do).

I'd like to add that you can create a bootable USB key to install Win 7 from within Win 7 beta or Vista using the info at the link below.

I've done this with the beta and it works great. The install seems faster and obviates the need for an optical drive.
This assumes you BIOS supports booting from a USB key (most newer computers do).

A very good point fjgold.. ;) You said it's faster.. I'm curious.. is it faster than 16 minutes from start to useable desktop? I've not tried installing that way yet so I don't know how fast it is in comparison.. ;) I installed the RC a couple nights ago and it took 16 minutes from start to useable desktop.. :) (CLEAN INSTALL)

Back