Windows 7 How to install windows 7 RC?

A very good point fjgold.. ;) You said it's faster.. I'm curious.. is it faster than 16 minutes from start to useable desktop? I've not tried installing that way yet so I don't know how fast it is in comparison.. ;) I installed the RC a couple nights ago and it took 16 minutes from start to useable desktop.. :) (CLEAN INSTALL)
I haven't timed it but I will time both methods and report back here when I get my hands on the RC.
I know that when a Linux live CD is setup on a thumb drive instead of a optical disc it loads much faster and is much more responsive. Installing from a live USB using the built-in installer is about 40% quicker, at least when installing Ubuntu Intrepid
or PCLinuxOS 2009. I don't know if you would get comparable results with Win 7. Although it stands to reason that it would considering that USB flash drives are much faster than CD.

It seems to me, if my memory serves that installing from my DVD drive took somewhat longer than 16 minutes.
Anyway it sounds like it might be fun and informative do do a comparison. I don't have much of anything to do anyways.
I'm retired and somewhat a glutton for punishment.:)

Well, I said I would wait a day or two before D/L Win 7 rc but I took a chance and tried downloading at around 3 am my time
(PDT). Download went very well (340kbit/sec in about 2 hrs.).

As I promised earlier I created both a DVD and a USB thumbdrive installer from the iso.

The DVD installer took 26 minutes to reach a usable desktop (before updates).
The USB drive installer took 16 minutes to reach a usable desktop, again before updates.

Speaking of updates, Updater consistently refused to install/update my ATi drivers for my mobility radeon x1400 card. After trying several times the update finally completed successfully. Maybe the servers were overloaded?

Now begins the long, tedious process of customizing and restoring all my programs and data.

Before I go much further I will create a restore image using Partimage in case something goes horribly wrong.
I'll probably save the image as a baseline and create a up to date image after all my customizations etc are done.

Hi guys. I was just wondering if anybody could give me a link to a tutorial on how to write Windows 7 to disk. I tried make-bootable but it was no use and I really want to install w7. I have another hard drive and I plan to use it for w7. Any help will be appreciated.

Well, I said I would wait a day or two before D/L Win 7 rc but I took a chance and tried downloading at around 3 am my time
(PDT). Download went very well (340kbit/sec in about 2 hrs.).

As I promised earlier I created both a DVD and a USB thumbdrive installer from the iso.

The DVD installer took 26 minutes to reach a usable desktop (before updates).
The USB drive installer took 16 minutes to reach a usable desktop, again before updates.

Speaking of updates, Updater consistently refused to install/update my ATi drivers for my mobility radeon x1400 card. After trying several times the update finally completed successfully. Maybe the servers were overloaded?

Now begins the long, tedious process of customizing and restoring all my programs and data.

Before I go much further I will create a restore image using Partimage in case something goes horribly wrong.
I'll probably save the image as a baseline and create a up to date image after all my customizations etc are done.

Well done.. ;) 16 minutes isn't bad at all.. I must give it a try, I'm curious now to see how much of an improvement it will be on my new rig.. :) I'll post the results once I've completed the test..

Did you create a seperate partition for all your DATA to be stored on in case you have to reinstall the RC at some point? ;)

Build 7000 to RC

Hi there,

I've got Win 7 Build 7000 running alongside XP in a dual-boot config.

Can you recommend a good procedure for beta rollback / RC install?

I heard that you can do an "in-place" install --- but it's not recommended.

Thanks
Bob

That is true, you can do an in place upgrade but it isn't recommended simply because upgrading USUALLY does lead to problems.. ;) I would recommend doing a clean install.. doing that won't mess up your dual boot setup.. just boot off the Win 7 RC disc and format the partition that the BETA is installed on and then clean install the RC and your good to go.. :).. The boot manager should be fine but if for some reason it screws up just download EasyBCD.. it's a very easy to use tool for configuring the Boot Manager to your liking.. :) But like I said, it should be fine.. If you do run into trouble just let us know.. :)

Well done.. ;) 16 minutes isn't bad at all.. I must give it a try, I'm curious now to see how much of an improvement it will be on my new rig.. :) I'll post the results once I've completed the test..

Did you create a seperate partition for all your DATA to be stored on in case you have to reinstall the RC at some point? ;)
Nope, The image file I create with "partimage" is an exact snapshot of my entire install including data etc.
I can restore to the point that I created the image in about 2-3 minutes, this includes the time needed for SystemRescueCD (this is where partimage is) to boot.

My setup is a multiboot with XP installed on the first partition and Win 7 on the ninth partition, with 4 linux distros in between.
I have a fairly large Fat32 partition to share among all installs. This is where my collection of MP3's reside.

Very nice setup.. :)

Thank You. I've been multibooting XP with linux for several years now. When I first installed Win 7 beta I was concerned that I would have issues with my bootloader (I use GRUB to boot all my linux distros a well as XP).

My boot menu before installing Win 7 beta showed XP at the top (default) with my 4 linux distros after.
Of course installing Win 7 replaced the GRUB menu with the Win 7 menu that showed only XP and Win 7.

I thought I was screwed but on a hunch I booted to my SuperGrub repair CD and chose the option to restore my
original GNU/Linux bootloader.

When I rebooted the menu was as before with XP at the top, however when the XP entry is clicked it opens the XP/Win 7 bootloader. How cool is that.

Gotta love how Linux just works.. ;) I also use Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu.. on different pc's of course.. and I've never been disappointed.. ;)

For some reason Windows burner didn't recognize my dvd burner, but I find that Imgburn (free download) is really simple to use. Download and install only takes a minute and it works fine with W7 x64.

Back