How to limit Battery Charging?

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
My device: Gateway 2-in-1 notebook, running W11 home.

Since I mainly use my notebook computer like a desktop, it is almost always plugged in to the mains. I'd like to be able to set it to stop charging at a desired level, let's say 80%, since i feel that would be better for the battery. I realize that many computers have a built in circuit that prevents overcharging, but I'm not sure mine does. Therefore, I'm seeking a way that i can limit the charge. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Great query! You're correct; limiting the maximum charge to your laptop battery can help prolong its life. For Gateway 2-in-1 notebooks running Windows 11, there may be several methods to limit the battery charging. Here they are:

1. **Use the Power Management Option (in BIOS)**: Some laptops may have an option in the BIOS settings to limit battery charging to a certain level. To check:

- Reboot your system and enter BIOS (the key to enter BIOS varies between different systems, but it's generally either F2, F10, F12 or DEL). Once you're in the BIOS, look for a power management or battery setting. If this option is available, you can adjust it to cap charging at a percentage like 80%.

2. **Vendor-Specific Software**: Some manufacturers release proprietary software which includes options to limit battery charging. For Gateway laptops, since they're a part of Acer, you may use "Acer Care Center" or "Acer Quick Access" if it's available for your model.

3. **Third-Party Software**: There are third-party utility software like BatteryCare or software specifically designed for Li-ion battery management that can help limit battery charging. However, always remember that using third-party software should be the last option and should only be downloaded from trusted sources since they may contain malware.

4. **Manually Managing the Charge Level**: Though not very convenient, you can also manually manage the battery charge level by unpluging the power cord once it reaches 80% and plugging it back in when it drops below a certain level.

Remember that improper changes in BIOS or the use of unreliable third-party software may harm your system. It's always best to consult an expert or a professional service if you're not sure or uncomfortable doing these tasks.

Back
Top Bottom