How to make ISO downloaded from UUPDump bootable on a USB?

DominikHoffmann

I downloaded a Windows 11 ISO from UUPDump. When I flash that to a USB drive and try to do a clean install on a fanless PC with a Celeron processor, the installer tells me that there is no installable OS on the drive. Because balenaEtcher told me that the ISO I generated was not bootable, I used Rufus to do the flashing.

What did I do wrong?

You probably need to make sure the USB and system are booting with the same scheme. Legacy (CMS) or UEFI

1) It is widely known among techs that downloading custom ISOs can lead to trouble. While many custom ISOs may be OK, there are many that are not. Just use standard microsoft Win11 ISO, then make your own changes to it. www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
2) Do not buy a PC with the horrible Celeron processor, that is even slower than i3.
3) By far the best USB utility creator is Ventoy www.ventoy.net

Last edited:
1) It is widely known among techs that downloading custom ISOs can lead to trouble. While many custom ISOs may be OK, there are many that are not. Just use standard microsoft Win11 ISO, then make your own changes to it. www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
2) Do not buy a PC with the horrible Celeron processor, that is even slower than i3.
3) By far the best USB utility creator is Ventoy www.ventoy.net
I like this PC. It is a fanless one and very compact.

I ended up using Microsoft install medium creation tool and installed Windows 10, instead of Windows 11.

There are fanless, compact computers that also don't suck ass, like Intel NUC. I guess you couldn't afford that. Or maybe you just move at a slow pace?
I have already used 15+ USB creation tools, and the best one is Ventoy.
But if you are here to talk and not listen, enjoy your life.
I am definitely here to learn.

Unfortunately, I have to work with the hardware I have, and originally I purchased that Zotac box to run Netgate’s pfSense. It had to have two Ethernet ports. I now have it as a headless Windows machine to test Windows stuff on it, because I am really a Mac guy. Have been since 1987 and with Apple since 1982.

I will definitely give Ventoy a try. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

P.S.: Making a bootable USB drive from a macOS installation package is built-in. Windows tinkerers would love the fact that to make that USB drive you have to muck around on the zsh command line, although that is pretty much straightforward.

Back