Windows 10 how to regain control of both screens

nichosi

After changing the video card the second monitor does not show up in screen resolution & both screens show the same thing.

How do I get the screen resolution to show both screens like before so that I can select what shows up in the second screen.

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFi,Intel,
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 6600 GTX, Excelsior sata 500gb, Corsair TX750M Psu, X45, Win8.1 64

'All Settings' from the right hand side of the taskbar, than 'System' and from there 'Screen'

Hope this helps

You might need to download the EVGA GPU utility from their website such as NVIDIA utilities or AMD Catalyst utilities to help you manage individual screen resolution settings on each GPU card. Be warned, however, that these utilities are notoriously unstable, and can and do often cause BSODs, and Black Screens. :headache: Your best bet is to FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO PREVENT IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!
Even if the EVGA utility works, it could cause system instability or worse cause it to no longer boot! Our crash experts here usually recommend removing the utility if that occurs. However, if it doesn't that may help solve your problem.:up:

Another word of advice, if you have the ability to create Factory RECOVERY MEDIA as most computers have these days, a utility that allows you to create the media on either DVD or USB, it would be a very good idea to have on hand BEFORE installing one of these GPU management utilities. And, to supplement that it would also be prudent to take an Image snapshot of your existing hard drive using Macrium Reflect, Acronis TrueImage, or EASEus TODO free backup softwares. I like Macrium the best, but you should know they started charging for their backup software now in v7 as of March 1st. You can still download a 30-day trial for free and make your backup Image, however, after that, the software will no longer make backup images or restore a backup image already made. This could be a problem should your GPU utility crash your W10, as you'd have to pay $40 to get a license to make the software work again so you could restore a working W10 image to your hard drive. Some things for you to consider. And if you're one of the few who have already done both, more power to you! And good job.:up:

Best of luck to you,:clover:

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

After changing the video card the second monitor does not show up in screen resolution & both screens show the same thing.

How do I get the screen resolution to show both screens like before so that I can select what shows up in the second screen.

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFi,Intel,
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 6600 GTX, Excelsior sata 500gb, Corsair TX750M Psu, X45, Win8.1 64

Hi, if it's a new card then your best updating the driver, first however you'll need to remove the original.

A fantastic application for this purpose is the DDU or Display Driver uninstaller. This is run under safe mode which allows it to remove every last bit of driver not only from the last driver update but any beforehand too.

Remember to boot into safe mode first.
DDU

The latest driver for your card is below:

GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER

Version: 378.66 WHQL
Release Date: 2017.2.14
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Language: Other
File Size: 381.66 MB

Thank you all,

Ruther frightening prospect using DDU, but downloaded have the HD imaged already.

Thanx A|LL & kemical,

HURRAY !!!!!
Done it, ddu removed the old driver & installed the 3908 & most importantly with it came the Nvidia control panel when I right click.

Thanx ALL Very grateful for your help. .......nick

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 334
Thanks for the update Nichosi! :)

Glad to hear your up and running.. Any problems please post again but in any case best of luck.. :)

Back