Windows 10 How to remove this annoying WINDOWS SECURITY popup?

XetalEngine

Hello everyone. I am attaching a picture of the sad popup.

Ever since the last update 20h2, every single time I restart my computer, I will get this extremely annoying popup from Windows Security.

I know my firewall is off, I manually disabled it.

I have disabled ALL apps notifications,
I have enabled Remove Notifications and Action Center in GPEDIT.MSC > User Config > Admin Templates > Start Menu
I have disabled all messages in Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Change security and Maintenance settings

The most annoying part of this, is that if I am running an application in full screen, it is visible sometimes removing the mouse focus from the current window, and also sometimes if the mouse clicks on it, the full screen app will minimize.

And just to throw it out there, this is extremely annoying.

Thank you!

Annoying.png

Any particular reason for turning the firewall off? If you don't have another firewall in place I'd suggest turning it back on as it's a fairly useful security feature.

If you do have another firewall then you should be able to just turn off the notifications.

• Open Windows Security Center
  • Click on Firewall
  • Click 'Firewall notification settings'
  • 'Manage Notifications'
Screenshot 2021-01-23 112829.png

Any particular reason for turning the firewall off? If you don't have another firewall in place I'd suggest turning it back on as it's a fairly useful security feature.

If you do have another firewall then you should be able to just turn off the notifications.

• Open Windows Security Center
  • Click on Firewall
  • Click 'Firewall notification settings'
  • 'Manage Notifications'
View attachment 39643
Yes I use a separate custom firewall (hardware firewall).

This setting is already OFF as the picture below, but I still get the notification...
In fact, I just got it 3 minutes after a cold boot while typing this message.

off.png

I would leave it on if you don't have another host based firewall. Security is best done in a layered approach.

I would leave it on if you don't have another host based firewall. Security is best done in a layered approach.

I am not going to turn it on, I just want to get rid of this popup. It is very annoying that although I turned every notification option I could find OFF, the popup still exists.

I don't wanna have to manually map an unsigned self made driver to modify Windows to serve me, I just want window's options to do what they are checked to do.

But if anybody finds a way, please let me know, I will be very thankful.

--EDIT--
I don't want security on this machine. Even if I did want security:

Windows firewall is useless. If I am executing an unknown or untrusted piece of software (or a "trusted" software with out checking the hash), I know I am putting my self at risk. But, the windows firewall is so useless, any virus programmer can deactivate the firewall programmatically, and or add itself or other things to the firewall's exception list. It is just useless for me and the stuff I do. On the pc's I need a strong protection on, I will connect those computers to a Linux host computer (not the router nor modem)which will NOT accept ANY incoming or outgoing connection unless I manually specify first.

And even if I am putting myself at risk, so what? it's my computer!
Is this a windows bug?

Considering all the settings I have already changed, this popup should have been eliminated.

Last edited:
Just for my information, and sorry for not getting your point but
If you think the Windows firewall is to weak, leave it as it is and put your own Linux box in between.
That won't work if you run programs or sell programs that get trapped by the Windows firewall, in that case you will have to add your program to the list of the firewall.
W.o.w the problem is something else then an popup.
Could you help me understanding?

Just for my information, and sorry for not getting your point but
If you think the Windows firewall is to weak, leave it as it is and put your own Linux box in between.
That won't work if you run programs or sell programs that get trapped by the Windows firewall, in that case you will have to add your program to the list of the firewall.
W.o.w the problem is something else then an popup.
Could you help me understanding?

* Turning off windows firewall increases system performance. (not much but every little thing ads up)

* Many of the software that I use, get interference from windows firewall (wireshark, WEPpro etc). I develop on this machine.
Many of these apps won't work properly EVEN if you add an exception to the firewall, because some of these apps, use very complex plugins that work on their own, It would be too time wasteful to spend time to make it work with windows firewall. Many of these apps, custom software and stuff will have 10 or more independent threads that work individually, and I'd have to spend too much time to make the necessary adjustments.

* On this machine, if I get a trojan, virus, ransomware, it's okay I wouldn't mind. I don't keep any important sensitive information or important vital files here. This needs to be an absolute maximum performance machine.

* I run complex server testing that requires everything to be open 100% open with no restriction during testing, otherwise again, I need to manually do stuff to make things work properly. I also like to, for example, allow sql injection, and then create protection for that independently(old project), which means I can't rely on any protection but my own for testing the above just as an example.

* This computer runs with 0 firewall, 0 antivirus 100% of the ports are open, once the projects are done I begin testing and tuning them to work on more standard setup. (like most users have, default installation settings, ads telementry spy, blablabla).

* Even disabling windows defender permanently for ever was more complicated than it should have been with out it re enabling it self on the next boot.

The main advantage is that you do not have to deal with it blocking things so you do not have to go through the trouble of tuning your firewall to allow what you want and block everything else.

I don't develop viruses or anything similar. I am a self taught developer, I work with ollydbg, imprec, ida pro, xdbg, ghidra, visual studio, dnspy, unicorn, unreal engine, unity, blender .... This is a toy workstation. I like to learn on my free time. I've been doing this since I got my first computer in 1999 (intel 486). I want to learn until I die. This allows me to meet many many people with the same interest in many many different countries. I learn more and more every single hour of free time that I have.

All I am asking for is to be able to remove a very annoying popup that recently started not being able to be disabled in windows 20h2. This has to be a bug.

Also, I reverse engineer GAME CHEATS/HACKS so I can give detection vectors to companies like Easy Anticheat, and Battleye so they can get rid of hackers in our games. And those are extremely time consuming. they don't give you the .dll, .exe or .sys they are using, they load it to memory dynamically from their server the actual file never gets to your hard drive. The firewall would also cause issues while doing this.

God, can I have full control of my system please? lol ...

I own it after all.

Last edited:
To be forthright, nothing I say is meant to be mean or what have you it's to provide useful information. With that said Microsoft has always been and albeit a bit more forceful has taken the stance if the user is going to be negligent and disregard securing their systems (Microsoft)we'll take care of it for them or at the very least nag you to death. The pop-up is a feature and it's saying you're going against best security practices. To your point "I own it after all" you do in fact not own it. Software is only licensed for use and you do not own it ever.

To your other points not running any type of security speaks volumes to, if you them, customers and potential customers. Security is more or less mandatory in this day and age with cyber attacks happening every day at unprecedented scales. Many customers will be questioning and in many cases conduct vendor reviews for security to ensure they are making an effort to secure their software and the customers data if any.

Your lackadaisical approach to security would not be tolerated in an enterprise setting. Documenting required ports and end point protection exceptions are basically a requirement when selling to customers as they will typically only open required ports and services. No business in their right mind would just open up everything.

When I said I own it, I was referring to my hardware (system) not operating system. Some OSes while not modified limits much of your hardware's capabilities but I am not going to go into it with detail.

Also, I am not in any shape or form in the position where my practices have to be tolerated. I don't have a Boss, and I don't sell security software nor software that requires your firewall to be off. I am retired at 35, house is paid for, and I make enough to afford internet, how else can I put it? I don't need to be tolerated by any one but my boyfriend :D.

I have a legitimate reason to not need Windows Firewall in this specific setup, which works fine...

Nothing you or microsoft support have posted in this simple question thread, has helped me to get rid of such popup... I guess the only real solution to fix this bug is by manufacturing a DLL and injecting it into explorer.exe.... god I don't want to do this.

And I refer to it as a bug because it has to be a bug since this specific type of message has been disabled by me, the system administrator.

Let me go attach explorer.exe to IDA PRO and reverse it for fun then lol... once I find the bug, I will create a pattern scanning tool to find the responsible broken function, inject code to it, and patch it for my own use :D.

This popup is annoying as hell... It happens once every boot.

I was wrong thinking some one knew something I missed... a regedit key maybe? or something... But I will get it done though...

* Turning off windows firewall increases system performance. (not much but every little thing ads up)

* Many of the software that I use, get interference from windows firewall (wireshark, WEPpro etc). I develop on this machine.
Many of these apps won't work properly EVEN if you add an exception to the firewall, because some of these apps, use very complex plugins that work on their own, It would be too time wasteful to spend time to make it work with windows firewall. Many of these apps, custom software and stuff will have 10 or more independent threads that work individually, and I'd have to spend too much time to make the necessary adjustments.

* On this machine, if I get a trojan, virus, ransomware, it's okay I wouldn't mind. I don't keep any important sensitive information or important vital files here. This needs to be an absolute maximum performance machine.

* I run complex server testing that requires everything to be open 100% open with no restriction during testing, otherwise again, I need to manually do stuff to make things work properly. I also like to, for example, allow sql injection, and then create protection for that independently(old project), which means I can't rely on any protection but my own for testing the above just as an example.

* This computer runs with 0 firewall, 0 antivirus 100% of the ports are open, once the projects are done I begin testing and tuning them to work on more standard setup. (like most users have, default installation settings, ads telementry spy, blablabla).

* Even disabling windows defender permanently for ever was more complicated than it should have been with out it re enabling it self on the next boot.

The main advantage is that you do not have to deal with it blocking things so you do not have to go through the trouble of tuning your firewall to allow what you want and block everything else.

I don't develop viruses or anything similar. I am a self taught developer, I work with ollydbg, imprec, ida pro, xdbg, ghidra, visual studio, dnspy, unicorn, unreal engine, unity, blender .... This is a toy workstation. I like to learn on my free time. I've been doing this since I got my first computer in 1999 (intel 486). I want to learn until I die. This allows me to meet many many people with the same interest in many many different countries. I learn more and more every single hour of free time that I have.

All I am asking for is to be able to remove a very annoying popup that recently started not being able to be disabled in windows 20h2. This has to be a bug.

Also, I reverse engineer GAME CHEATS/HACKS so I can give detection vectors to companies like Easy Anticheat, and Battleye so they can get rid of hackers in our games. And those are extremely time consuming. they don't give you the .dll, .exe or .sys they are using, they load it to memory dynamically from their server the actual file never gets to your hard drive. The firewall would also cause issues while doing this.

God, can I have full control of my system please? lol ...

I own it after all.
I see, thanks

fyi turning off firewall does not increase system performance mate

have you got internet secuity unticked as well as firewall... could you show us your message settings please?

Screenshot (4377).png

Yes, disabling the firewall does increase performance, even if the performance gain is negligible. But I have multiple reasons to do so, performance
isn't the main reason. Anyways, Here is a screen shot, every clickable option is unchecked. Thank you

I have also done the ones below:

I have enabled Remove Notifications and Action Center in GPEDIT.MSC > User Config > Admin Templates > Start Menu
I have disabled all messages in Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Change security and Maintenance settings
I have also disable notifications for every single app in system settings.

At the same time, I find it hard to believe a Windows Forum Team member said disabling the firewall does not increase performance.
Yes the performance gain is negligible, but your statement is false.

mESSAGE.png

Attachments

• mESSAGE.png
    mESSAGE.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Problem solved. I injected a nice fat dll into memory windows system process at every startup, and the popup is destroyed :D it is gone for good :D. God who knows if I broke something else with this method, but for now, I am happy.

Also, for the people obsessed with security... You rely too heavily in software solutions... Software you trust, but you honestly have no idea what a single line of code in that software does and how it reacts with your hardware...

When I need security, in my main machine, where I use my credit card, and have important files... YES, I need that to be secure... Not only secure but stable at the same time.

Way back in the day, before I used a Linux Machine to intermediate my connection, I used Windows Firewall to protect my system... BUT because I know it is so weak (so is norton, mcfee, etc), I had to manage it with code. So what I did was the ONLY way to make Windows Firewall usable...

I would make it so the firewall blocks EVERYTHING BY DEFAULT... 100%. Everything is blocked.
Then, I made an app that, I would have to manually add that each app do my program's list. Only the programs in that list would be able to access the internet... That way it'd be impossible to receive or send packets from and to untrusted sources :D.

But even this wasn't a good solution, because even though it was the only way to rely on Windows Firewall, if I was stupid enough to execute a untrusted .exe for example, it could very easily change window's firewall settings, just like my app would.

I used windows firewall API to create this app by the way...

So, a firewall running inside of your operating system, although it can help, in my eyes, it is useless. Have you ever reversed a virus? Do you know how smart and creative virus developers are? Do you think windows defender and windows firewall will really not allow bad code to run? LOL ...
Well I guess for people that fall for phishing, windows firewall is better than nothing....

Anyways...

THANKS FOR NOTHING! Windows has a bug, and I don't even know where to report it. I hope they will fix this soon although I've hacked a work around for myself.

Below is an example of what any virus developer can do to instantaneously neutralize your firewall :D.... And this is not even in C, it is in c# (very high level). But this isn't even necessary... Below is the code I wrote for myself... It is the code that would allow any app I selected to connect to the internet.

If any1 wants the source code, let me know.

Thanks guys. Later.

Xetal_0_0Handle.png

Back
Top Bottom