Windows 10 How to remove unallocated partition in Windows

tck13

I have a laptop that I installed an ssd(had to swap the hdd and merge the ssd over) however whenever I do a cold boot I have to go into the bios in order to boot.

I'm assuming my issue lies with how many partitions I have and their order. I saw that I have an unallocated partition and Cannot delete it using the default partition manager. So I installed a third party partition app and to delete the partition, but I am unable to. I provide some screenshots to help with troubleshooting. Any help is much appreciated, I do not care about the contents on my ssd (recently formatted it) so all solutions welcome ;)

I tried making the unallocated space a new simple volume, and when I do that and try to extend my C drive the extend is greyed out

You can't at least not in Windows. You might be able to move the partitions in a live Linux disc or USB with gparted, but it is risky to move them. The safest method would be to format the disk and reinstall Windows.

to reinstall, do I need a key? I imagine I would put windows 10 on a usb drive and then boot from that but i'm not sure what I need for authentication purposes

You can get your key like so...
  • Open an elevated powershell prompt
  • Type $(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey

Last edited:
Shouldn't be are you sure you typed the command exact? you could even copy and paste everything in bold

There was a missing 3 in the property name, fixed, but that wouldn't throw an invalid class exception

No it shouldn't matter.

2016-02-12_20-57-03.png

formatted and reinstalled windows removing my unallocated space. but still from cold boot I get a default boot device missing

Back