Windows 10 How to retrieve "choose from disc" option in windows default programs - windows 10?

Martinezz123

Hi. I wanted to change default mail program to Thunderbird.
I went to settings > default programs and then when I clicked Mail app the only option I got was to choose from some web browsers and... "SEARCH IN MICROSOFT STORE". There was no option to choose an app from my disc.
What worse the same was for any other app in default programs. The "choose from disc" option dissapeared. I can choose from some - very limited - options or to search in microsoft store ONLY.

I can't gues what moroon thought that he has right to mess IN MY OWN COMPUTER and limit MY OWN FREEDOM to choose what I want to use as a default app.
This generally shuould be punished somehow, but for now I'm asking you for help.
How to show this option - choose from disc - in windows default programs again?
I know there is workaround for file types by right clicking a file type and then choosing an app from disc, but for default mail to open for example mail adressess form web it wont work. So Please help.

ps. In Thunderbird 91 also there is no such option to SET THE APP AS A DEFAULT MAIL CLIENT - or I can't find it. The same moroonic improvements as in windows. Unfortunatelly.

Hi,

regarding your 'select from disk ' question.

Did you insert a DVD/CD with Thunderbird on it?

If not then you won't be able to find the thunderbird app unless you actually download it.

Default programs is simply a way for you to make sure you use the same app for a particular job like browsing.

Thunderbird 91 is available here:

Thunderbird — Make Email Easier.

I can't gues what moroon thought that he has right to mess IN MY OWN COMPUTER
no comment on the moroon part but its not 'your' own computer so much as Microsofts software... you give up certain rights by installing Windows
ps. In Thunderbird 91 also there is no such option to SET THE APP AS A DEFAULT MAIL CLIENT - or I can't find it.
to see the make default option you need to do an advanced [called custom] install but it doesn't matter because [by default] Windows will ignore Thunderbird becoming default software unless you install it with the super account... all normal users will still need to goto their settings page after installing Thunderbird [or anything else] and set the program as default from there
advanced.png

Screenshot (729).png

"but its not 'your' own computer so much as Microsofts software..." - that's egzactly the thinking I'm talking about.

I did, checked the option to set the Thunderbird as default app. However the windows seems to be ignoring this. I do not have the option as shown in your screenshots - no Thunderbird in the list of apps available.
Moreover I want to have the option "choose from disc" available for other programs which I have installed too.
Before some actualisations the option was there for default, for every app. I want to make it back.

Back