Windows 7 How to set up Win7 Network of 6 computers

GULLIVER

Hello all,

Please help a newbie here. Really was wasting last 2 days trying to set up network and couldn't figure out how.

First let me describe how actually the physical network is set up.

There are 6 computers all having Windows 7 installed on them. One of the computers is connected to the internet via a DSL modem and the connection is shared with the Local Area Connecion.

I did create a Homegroup and all computers did see each other (file sharing and others) but non had access to internet. To mention here is that I did SHARE my broadband connection and selected the Local Area Network to be shared with.

This was my first try. Did not come out.

Second time I set all computers to Work Network and one of the problems here is that 2 computers had network defined as "Network" others as "Unidentified Network" - though on the physical level I could share files and other things but not the internet. Again I did share the internet connection with the Local Area Network.

Please guys help me out.. if needed I can provide screenshot and more details here. I had such a network set up with XPs and when changed to 7, really I'm stuck here.

Thanks in advance.

To start with you really don't want to be trying to share a single connection through one pc with 6 others. You need an 8 port router to create a proper LAN. That will sort your internet connection for each of the machines. You can then set up each of them to be members of the same homegroup for sharing resources across the LAN.

Well I can't to other way @ this moment. I did manage to make it work properly on XP and now it I'm stuck.

Can't I make members of the same homegroup now (all PCs are connected to each other via a switch) and share the connection of one of them?

To start with you really don't want to be trying to share a single connection through one pc with 6 others. You need an 8 port router to create a proper LAN. That will sort your internet connection for each of the machines. You can then set up each of them to be members of the same homegroup for sharing resources across the LAN.

I must really back up Pat here when he says you need a router with proper ports to accommodate these systems. Internet connection sharing through one computer is a very old school way of doing things - in fact it creates what is called a star network topology. If the host computer goes down, all your other systems are done. I have been thinking about what type of network topology this is, and its still a star network topology, but it is seriously flawed. By turning your computer into a hub, you are making a big mistake. Go with a 8-port or 4-port router (and then buy a 4-port unmanaged switch). ICS on Windows 7 is certainly not meant for this type of network setup at all. You will run into problems even when you get it working.

Back
Top Bottom