Windows 7 How to Stop the Taskbar from Reappearing

Hello,

I am using the auto-hide feature for the taskbar and every time when there's a change to one of my programs (for example somebody sent me an instant message on my messenger or a program has been downloaded on firefox) the taskbar will automatically appear with the icon of the program glowing in orange. Is there a way to prevent that reappearing action?

I have tried tweaking the registry as well as gpedit.msc but still couldn't.

Thanks for your help,
LD

Attachments

• taskbar..png
    taskbar..png
    177 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
Start > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Hide the notification area > Enable > Ok.

Thanks but it doesn't work. I tried that before and just tried that again. And that's for the notification area (the little icons at the corner), not the program icons themselves.

I know what you're talking about, you can also click on the little icons at the right corner area > customize > for each icon listed, set hide icon and notifications

Hi, thanks again but I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I have no problem with the little icons at the right corner. It's the icons of the programs on the (middle) of the taskbar. Please have a look at my attached thumbnail, you will see a yahoo messenger glowing in orange. That is my problem. The taskbar when hidden will automatically appear when there's a, say, change to a program's status - like in this case is my Y!Messenger having received a new instant message - and the icon of the program will glow in orange to notify that there's something going on.

The thing I would like to do now is to keep the taskbar hidden all the time, even when there's a change to a program and the icon glows orange, until I drag my mouse onto it. Another solution I thought of was to turn off the notification somehow.

Thanks again for helping,
LD

Hi, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but when those icons are glowing orange are they looking for a response from you? I mean are they asking you for permission to run or whatever that icon applies to? If so, I doubt that you can stop that sort of notification as they are asking for administrative decisions.

Hi,

Some do wait for a response, I guess in a sense (however, it's not like they are asking for administrative permissions or anything - I disabled UAC from the moment I installed my windows). But as I said, it's more like they are notifying me that there was a change. Like in my screenshot, the Y!Messenger is glowing cos somebody sent me a message and so letting me know that I need to respond.

However, there are also other cases which do not ask me for a response. For example, when I download something from the web and Firefox has finished downloading, a download window will spawn and a Firefox icon will also appear notifying me that the download has completed. In this case surely it doesn't require me any response from other that of closing the window. Please see my other thumbnail for clarity. It's also the reason why I want to stop the taskbar from reappearing because every time I finished downloading a file or something like that the taskbar will reappear showing those icons glowing in orange and will just stay there blocking my gadgets and other programs until I click the orange icons.

Thanks,
LDtaskbar2..png

Hi, thanks again but I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I have no problem with the little icons at the right corner. It's the icons of the programs on the (middle) of the taskbar.
Thanks again for helping,
LD

You can send those "problem" windows to the right bottom tray corner with the help of TaskSwitchXP - Alt-Tab Replacement (install and run it in XP compatibility [tab] mode):

(you can set up any hotkey, not necessarily Alt-Tab)

tsxp_default.png

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...69-ntwind-software-7-alt-tab-enhancement.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Live Messenger to tray:

http://windows7forums.com/tweaks-gu...e-messenger-icon-system-tray-windows-7-a.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I find the taskbar to be a necessary feature but it's a huge annoyance for me. I'm obviously not getting or understanding what I'm reading here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My issue is I'm spending way too much time trying to figure out which program or feature requires my attention. I believe that, if I understand correctly, that the icon glows when it pops open the taskbar and gives you an indication of what needs addressing. My taskbar constantly pops open and covers part of my application. I can sometimes find which Icon to click and address as some have a "!" or some other indicator, but more often than not, I end up having to close my apps one by one and click open for every task bar icon until I find the one that it wants me to address. This is a huge annoyance for me, sometimes taking 10 minutes to figure out.

What am I missing here. Surely there is some easy way to find out what response is needed when the taskbar opens and waits for my response.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing here?

Bill

I've experienced this once I think. Usually, how many programs do you run simultaneously?

@cybercore: is there a way not to send the programs anywhere cos I want to keep the icons where they are? Thanks.

LD

Not many.... maybe 3 to 6 at a time, but I have 20 icons in resident programs and it's there that my issue constantly gets me. ALready today I've had to find the magical task three times and maybe 15 minutes total and my day started at 9:00 and it's now 11:43. I've had this problem on all versions of windows and I can't believe I'm one of the few to keep dealing with this. There are few posts on the internet about my problem so it must be something with me. But I can't imagine anyone liking the task of trying to figure out what attention the taskbar is asking for. Microsoft should pop out only the icon of the task needing help.

I wish I were a hacker and I'd make it work that way.

Bill

What am I missing here. Surely there is some easy way to find out what response is needed when the taskbar opens and waits for my response.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing here?

Bill

You might not be missing anything here Bill. In Windows 7 we can still use Cntrl + Tab go give you a quick display of all your running applications. When you see one of those displayed snapshots/icons glowing or blinking continue to hit Tab until that snapshot/icon is highlighted. When you release the keys you will be taken to that application. So, if you can't make Windows stop bugging you you can at least get to the problem app faster. If I read you right you are more bugged by how long it takes you to find which application is in need of your attention more than being bugged in the first place. I rerally hope this helps. Good Luck

Back