How to test out a new windows update but uninstall it if it breaks things?

JayAaroBe

Sorry if this is a n00b question, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me.

First of all, it's relevant that I tell you that I have a Western Digital (WD) My Book World Edition Network Storage external hard drive which is working perfectly right now.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and I have my Windows Update settings set to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them." I usually install most updates but sometimes I'll see an update that I know I do not want to install and so I don't install it.

So now there is an "Important" update available called "WD - Other hardware - My Book World Edition Network Storage". I am afraid that if I install this update, it might cause problems, and as I said the hard drive is working perfectly right now so I don't want to mess with it.

However, I am aware that many times updates make improvements, so I want to try installing the update.

Anyway, my question is this: is it possible to install the update, and then if something goes wrong and it's not working anymore, to undo the update and go back to the way it was before the update when it was working? (in other words, the way it is right now since I haven't applied the update yet)?

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes you can use 'System Restore' this will allow you to create a point to go back to if the update is not desireable.. Also 'some' MS updates can be un-installed but not all.

Please also notice that this is the 'update section' and not specifically for answering threads. In future please use Windows 7 support section.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom