Windows Vista how to view vista files from 98se

Sweet98GA

Hi all, first post, and semi new to networking with Vista (first time is tonight, lol). I'll cut right to the question, and here's what I have

Vista home laptop, c$ shared
xp pro desktop, c$ shared
windows 98se desktop, c$ shared

I'm not sure if this will be enough information, but here we go

From Vista, I am able to access xp and 98
From XP, I am able to access vista and 98
From 98, I am able to access xp, but not vista

From the 98 machine:
When I right click MY COMPUTER and go to explore, then click on network connections where it lists the xp machine, and the vista machine, so I click on the + sign for the vista machine and it asks for log in, login name is filled out as the computer name for the vista machine, and then I go to enter password and it tells me that it is not correct

EERRRRTTT- as I walked into the other room to write down my steps to type above, I can no longer even see the laptop on the network neighborhood (above steps are just from memory)... hmm Either way, let me fire this off to you

from 98, start --> run -> \\COMPUTERNAME\c$

OR

from 98, start --> run--> \\IP ADDRESS of vista machine

Asks for log in. The resource (except for when I try to browse by c$) says \\computername\ipc$. Not sure what the "ip" is for in the beginning, but I'm assuming the password to be the same as what you use to log into the vista machine correct? If so, the same password I use does not work from the 98 machine. For simple testing, the password is only numbers.

Any ideas? I've been searching the web for a couple of hours and i've only come up with people who can connect from 98, however it takes 30-60secs for screen to load, and they say that files are corrupt or not-openable. Can someone tell me if there is a way for me to see vista files from 98se, or if I should just be happy with what I have set up?

Thanks!

Hi! Alot of people say they see XP, when they go to access it, they get an error saying not accessible and the network path is not found. This error can be caused by 1.) misconfigured and/or incompatible firewall (such as McAfee) 2.) Not having identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. I was wondering, do you get a broadcast flag? Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers This may help you configure your network: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Are you still needing help with this, Sweet98GA?

You'll probably need to upgrade your Win 98 box to network happily with Vista.

Vista by default uses a more secure network authentication protocol, which isn't necessarily installed on Win 98.

However, you can install and enable the protocol; check this link:

How to enable NTLM 2 authentication

Are you experienced enough to work through this on your own?

If not, post back, and I'll try to guide you through it.

Back
Top Bottom