Windows 7 HP CP1025NW Toner Cartridges (HP126A)

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I had no intention of ever buying a laser printer, but a neighbor in need just came by with a brand new one still sealed in the box, so I bought it. The price for the printer wasn't too bad, but the prices of genuine HP toner cartridges are. There are four different colors of which each costs $50 or more, which is more than I paid for the printer.

Not surprisingly, I found much cheaper cartridges on eBay, but I'm wondering if they are like inkjet cartridges and are significantly inferior to the OEM ones?

Last edited:
There are many (especially those who provide them) who swear the aftermarket cartridges are perfectly suitable. But my experience is not the same.

One of the big problems is standards and consistency. With genuine HP, whether you buy it New York or Hong Kong, the toner will be genuine HP toner, with the same chemical composition, year after year. With aftermarket cartridges, Company A may use this formula this month and Company B that formula that month, then next month something slightly different.

I have also seen many reports from users of both ink jet and laser aftermarket ink where poor print quality was resolved by switching back to genuine cartridges.

Yeah, laser cartridges are expensive, but I note with the Link Removed - Invalid URL, you get around 1200 pages - and with the color ink, about 1000 pages. That's a lot, about 50% more than my HP inkjet cartridges, though still quite a bit more costly - hence the popularity of inkjets.

Lasers have always been more expensive, but do yield a better (and more durable) finished product.

Thanks for the insight. I had already suspected that what you said was true, but am still looking for a way to save on this. This printer is color, which means that it uses 4 cartridges, and I'm not willing to spend over $200 for them. Would it work if I only bought a black cartridge and used it that way?

Also, I'm curious in what way the print quality suffered with the aftermarket cartridges...not clear, faded, or ? Does laser copies have the same problem as some inkjet copies in regards to being waterproof?

Last edited:
Would it work if I only bought a black cartridge and used it that way?
Some printers refuse to print if one or more of the cartridges are missing and some refuse to print if one or more are empty. Depends on the printer.

As for quality - all sorts of complaints from off color to less sharp, to blotches of excess ink, to spots with no ink where there should be - to not printing at all.
Does laser copies have the same problem as some inkjet copies in regards to being waterproof?
That is part of what I meant by a more durable printout. Laser toner is heated and "fused" to the paper, hence it is much less prone to smearing and water damage.

What a lot of folks do is do most of their printing, and draft copies with an inkjet - then when ready to go final, use the laser.

Actually, the inkjet really serves my purposes, because I only use it for my own needs. I kind of think that the laser presents more problems than it solves...not only because of cost, but also because it doesn't have any FAX or scan functions, and I currently haven't the space available for it, unless I used it as a wireless network printer and found a niche for it away from the desk. However, with the usual skimpy instructions that HP offers on their products in general, I don't know what it would take to accomplish that? I assume that would require some kind of wireless adapter to connect it to... right?

Ahh, that is good! If HP had better instruction manuals, I might have known that. Now the only problem left is the toner cartridges. Given the nature of aftermarket cartridges described by Digerati, I'm wondering if any one brand is any better than others? Knowing me, I would just buy the cheapest, and that would probably result in the worst, unless someone enlightened me further. I guess I could buy an OEM black cartridge and then the other three aftermarket, just so that all of the cartridge slots were filled.

I guess I could buy an OEM black cartridge and then the other three aftermarket, just so that all of the cartridge slots were filled.
Great minds think alike eh - was thinking along the lines of such a compromise. I'd certainly stick with genuine cartridges for the black majority use - I use only genuine cartridges for printing myself - just not worth the mess and damage that cheapos can do to both media and hardware.

You said this was a brand new printer, "still sealed in the box". I have bought many HP printers and they all came with rip-off (IMO) "demo" cartridges (only partially full :mad:). Didn't this printer too? If so, not sure you would need to buy any replacements - for awhile, and then only a full black (if color is not needed).

I kind of think that the laser presents more problems than it solves... ...because it doesn't have any FAX or scan functions
Well, of course that is not a laser problem - but the fact it is a "printer" and not an "All-In-One multifunction printing device" like your inkjet. I have an HP6500 AIO Inkjet and it takes up a lot of space but a LOT less real estate than a separate printer, scanner, fax, and copy machine would (and all their data cables, separate power supplies and power cables too). And in my case, with it networked, it is located in a central location, and off my desk! :)

My old perfectly good laser printer is sitting on a shelf in the basement, next to several old, perfectly good CRT monitors and other electronics hardware deemed obsolete before its time. The cost of progress, I guess.

And of course, the folks at Staples, OfficeMax, OfficeDepot would argue their aftermarket stuff is equal or better quality. And I suspect they are better compared to some - especially the no-name stuff on eBay. The big brand stores likely have better quality and consistency control across the inks and ink batches too. I suspect if you buy from Staples, for example, and it works fine, then continuing to buy those replacements from Stables will be fine. But all it takes is one bad one to gum up the works (literally!), and I don't suspect any of the aftermarket suppliers will cover damage to the printer from a faulty cartridge. But Canon, HP, Epson, Brother, etc. will (assuming the printer is still under warranty).

I guess it depends on how much you print, and how important print quality is. If the idea is to have a "hard copy" on file, then as long as it is readable, the quality is not that important. But more and more "paperwork", including our own personal and home finances stuff has gone "green", "paperless", "digitized". I can't remember the last time I actually "wrote" a check. And for that matter, I rarely print out reports anymore, but attach them to an email, or just keep them as files on my computer. I just printed out a new "Proof of Insurance" card my insurance company emailed me. But only because the law requires I carry a copy in my truck. But even that startled the printer out of hibernation, its been so long since I printed anything, it took forever to actually start the print job. ;)

If you are looking for a new job and will be printing resumes, or important sales or presentation "reports" for your work or school, and top quality is important, it is hard to beat a good laser printer (with the right paper, anyway). And for that I just think the genuine ink is the safer bet.

That said, inkjets can create some great printouts too, with the right paper.

You said this was a brand new printer, "still sealed in the box". I have bought many HP printers and they all came with rip-off (IMO) "demo" cartridges (only partially full ). Didn't this printer too? If so, not sure you would need to buy any replacements - for awhile, and then only a full black (if color is not needed).

I believed that when I said it, but unfortunately I was too occupied with trying to figure out other problems, that I failed to notice that the box had "refurbished" on it. I guess that accounts for the lack of cartridges, but the fact that I can't locate a serial number on either the box or the machine baffles me.

but the fact that I can't locate a serial number on either the box or the machine baffles me.
My guess is the serial number is under the Refurbished tag on the box. As for the printer, there should certainly be a serial number sticker on the back or bottom. If not, then my guess is by "refurbished", that means someone returned it and Best Buy, Newegg, or whoever the retailer was had their tech dept check it out, and it worked. But of course, open box means it cannot be sold as new, so they remove or blackout the serial number, mark it refurbished and resell it (again) at a discount.

FWIW, consumables (ink and paper) is generally what makes printing expensive. This is why we see many printing devices for under $100 - the makers know they will make up for it in consumables. These low purchase prices are also why repairing printing devices is generally not cost effective and results in a lot of hazardous waste in our landfills, or dust collectors in our storage closets. :(

I have boxed the printer and stuffed it into my closet, because I don't want to pay the price of toner cartridges to use it. Maybe that will change if my inkjet ever dies, but I seriously doubt it, because I could buy a new inkjet for less than a set of new OEM cartridges.

However, that is not why I'm updating this thread, it is because while browsing through Craig's list, I found a listing for a brand new HP1022 printer for sale, still in the box, and it says that it doesn't come with toner. Therefore it appears to me that HP has sunk to a new low in profiteering.

I think you discovered why you should be leery of Craig's List and the like. "Still in the box" is not the same as "Still sealed in the box".

If you look on the official HP site for that device Link Removed - Invalid URL, it clearly says (my bold added),

What's in the box:

HP LaserJet 1022 Printer, HP LaserJet print cartridge, User's Guide, printer documentation and software on CD-ROM, power cord, 250-sheet input tray, 10-sheet priority input tray

I was so enthusiastic about this printer, that I put in on the back burner (in the closet), until now. However I drug it out primarily to see if I could get it connected wirelessly, and I'm having a problem. It seems that the printer installed properly, as far as the driver goes, because it does now appear in Devices And Printers, but the installer is requiring a password to complete the wireless installation, but does not spell out exactly what that password must be.

I tried both my account logins password as well as the Homegroup password, and it consistently fails, saying that there is a mismatch. I also attempted to add the printer to the network, but it doesn't see it...obviously because of the password problem. So how do I resolve this problem?

They are probably asking for the password to your wireless network - often called passphrase in wireless menus. That is set in your WAP - wireless access point, often integrated into "wireless routers".

That sounds reasonable, but I don't remember how to access the configuration for my router (Cisco-Linksys E3000). I may be able to find the paperwork for the router, but it would take me a month of Sundays to do so. I know that it is very simple, but can't remember...seems as though I type a url into the browser's address bar. Do you happen to know what?

I found the url (198.168.1.1) but the login won't accept any of the username/passwords that I generally use, and can't access the configuration, nor do I see any way to reset the username/password. What do I do, start over from scratch?

The manual should show you how to reset all back to the defaults which will also be listed in the manual.

Back
Top Bottom