Windows 7 HP F4180 problem

bnewt

trying to get this all in one printer to scan and save items as pdf, but when I start the HP solution center, the only selection I have listed under "start an activity" is make copies. Anyone else have this problem?

Do you have a PDF program installed on your computer? Do you have the full driver/software package installed?

yes, I have donwnloaded & installed the full package from HP's web site. I have adobe reader installed as well

trying to get this all in one printer to scan and save items as pdf, but when I start the HP solution center, the only selection I have listed under "start an activity" is make copies. Anyone else have this problem?

I found numerous complaints about not being able to scan to pdf with your printer, and the manuals and available documentation are close to useless. This appears to not be a current HP model.

Scanning should appear in the HP Solution Center. Most of the other complaints were from people who got a scan option but not a save to pdf option. If you're not getting a scan option, there is something wrong with the software. If you get a scan option, there are configuration settings where you can show or hide various options, including scan to pdf. However, the manual states that not all of the options are available with every model so it is not clear whether scan to pdf is included with your unit. I could find nothing from HP that explicitly states that this is or is not an available feature with your printer.

Others found HP of no help in resolving this, so the simplest solution is to use third party software. If the HP Solution Center copy option allows you to select the printer and isn't limited to the default printer, the simplest solution would be to use whs's suggestion of loading one of the free pdf printer drivers like cutepdf. Just copy the document and select the virtual pdf printer, which will save the copy output as a pdf file. An alternative: download iCopy from Sourceforge ( http://icopy.sourceforge.net/?page_id=72 ). This is a free copy utility that has a built-in option to save the result as a pdf file. Your printer comes with a TWAIN driver that allows third party software like this to interact with the scanner.

Back