Humidity

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I kind of hate breaking the jovial mood of this board, but I didn't know where else to ask a question I have. I bought a clock with both a temperature and humidity reading on it thusly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171112103212?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It keeps time and temperature reasonably well, but the humidity reading is almost useless. I put it outside for a few days, and compared it's reading to that of the NWS, and not only is it off considerably, but the amount of error varies greatly. Does anyone know of a humidity gauge that is reliable, yet reasonably priced?

Last edited:
I kind of hate breaking the jovial mood of this board, but I didn't know where else to ask a question I have. I bought a clock with both a temperature and humidity reading on it thusly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171112103212?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It keeps time and temperature reasonably well, but the humidity reading is almost useless. I put it outside for a few days, and compared it's reading to that of the NW S, and not only is it off considerably, but the amount of error varies greatly. Does anyone know of a humidity gauge that is reliable, yet reasonably priced?
http://www.amazon.com/Display-Temperature-Humidity-Meter-Hygrometer/dp/B001AKCLVK Not sure how reliable it is though.

Humidity meters aren't very reliable if close to human skin or other living beings, because these affect the reading, due to their body temperature and natural humidity, thus affecting the readings. Same goes, if you have a humidity reading near to a radiator, which tends to dry the air, giving lower than appropriate readings.

There may be special equipment, mainly for sports people, costly, and needed to be adjusted to personal perspiration. In my carrier within the Army, I've never met this, no one has ever mentioned it necessary. The only proper way would be to have a separate meter, placed as "neutrally" as possible, away from heat units or anything, in the room. But together with a watch, attached to ones wrist, I'd say it's highly inaccurate. It records more your humidity, than that of your surroundings.

Cheerio. :)

I can generally understand what you said, but as for distance from one's self the meter needs to be, how far is that...or better yet, how close can it be without a significant error being introduced? I don't think that is a factor with meter that I have, because if anything, it registers too low of a humidity, rather than too high, which I think would be the case with the proximity being too close to one's body. Heating and cooling are functions of the central environmental unit here, so I don't think that is much of a factor, except that A/C would still tend to lower the humidity some.

I must admit, I wasn't being very precise. You did mention having the clock outside for a few days - thus eliminating my thoughts about nearness to human influence.

I would personally trust a good old time hygrometer, its way to show a full scale is visually easier to comprehend, plus they are aesthetic in a grand way. Generally, I'd say you get what you paid for, no offense here. But if you bought it recently, I'd go to one of my favorites: warranty. If it shows wrong, it's faulty, and you do have the right for a repair, replacement or a reimbursement.

Wish you the best. Can't give specific recommendations, though.

By a "good old time hygrometer", I suppose that you are referring to something like this": hygrometer2.jpgI like this very much, but wanted something more portable, so I could move it room to room. To do that, I think it would be necessary to get something digital, like the one that I bought. I found a few other digital units available, but I don't know if any of them are any better than I have? What I have is a cheap generic, and not worth the hassle and cost of attempting to RMA it...even if that were possible.

Back