Windows 7 I am not able to Dual display. Monitor 1 loses signal after startup

nikpapag

Card: GeForce 8400 GS, Dual Monitor Solution 59 pin socket (DMS-59) to 2 VGA adapter cable (tried two of these cables)
Driver: 306.97 October 2012 - latest driver and clean reset install

Nvidia driver 285.62 from Oct 2011 is the latest driver to dual display. And all previous drivers back to 185.93 from May 2009 work as well. Also beta 290.53 works.

But 295.73 from Feb 2012 and later will not dual display. I noticed that 295 and later drivers reverse the monitor numbers 1 and 2 from the drivers 285 and previous.

My XP computer with the same GeForce 8400 GS (VGA & DVI output instead of DMS-59) works with the latest 306.81 driver. And Ubuntu 10 dual displays fine too.

Less important details:

Windows 7 64 turns off the monitor 1 signal after startup. At login, it powers off monitor 1 and powers on monitor 2. Windows 7 behaves as though dual display is working even though monitor 1 does not display. It's the same for single display, the monitor will not work on cable 1 except at startup.

Same Resolution: 2 of the 4 monitors I have tried have the exact same 'recommended' resolution (1280X 1024), both 60Hz, and even chose 16 bit color for both instead of 32 to reduce resources.

Both 'Extend these displays' in Windows Screen Resolution and 'Extend' in the Nvidia Control Panel is selected. And changing which one is primary does not turn on monitor 1. Nor does switching the position of display 1 in either (ex. left/right/top/bottom).

My Windows 7 64 is an upgrade from Vista 64. One person in another forum with the same problem resolved theirs by reinstalling Windows 7. But another got the same problem only after a fresh clean install of Windows 7 64 with the same GeForce 8400 GS and DMS-59 when it had previously worked in Vista. Dual Monitors - Only One Works at a Time

Pushing a menu button on monitor 1 does wake it up, but just says,
1: Analog Input in Power Save Mode
Press Any Key on Keyboard or Move Mouse

Back