Windows 7 I am unable to login and F8 does not get me into Safe Mode

Jowi2525

If F8 does not get me into Safe Mode and I cannot boot in regular mode so the only thing I can boot from is the Installation disk, is there any way I can get into safe mode? I cannot even reinstall because the computer crashes in all scenarios other than safe mode. I know this from before when it would let me in by asking if I wanted to boot into safe mode after each crash. The laptop is running Windows 7.

Thanks,

Jowi2525

Hi,
if you can boot into the bios you can change the boot order so that your device holding the windows installation media is first (either DVD ROM or USB). Boot up and follow the prompts as if your doing a clean install but at the actual install page look near the bottom for Repair and click that. If memory serves you might be able to get into safe mode that way but if not try the repair option.

Booting from the DVD is no problem. I can do that. I have tried the repair options. Startup repair reports CorruptBootConfigData. I am investigating ways to fix that, but if I could get back into safe mode, I could just upgrade to Win 7 Ent since that is the DVD I have. I have tried chkdsk /r from the installation disc, but it takes too long and it always crashes before done. I did not get to try it from safe mode before it stopped giving me the option of safe mode. Safe mode is the only thing that does not crash.

As far as I'm aware Windows cannot be upgraded in safe mode. If you have a disk for Windows 7 Enterprise as well as the activation key then I would perform a fresh install which to be honest is far more desirable than an upgrade.

I tried a fresh install of Win 8.1, but it always crashed before completion. So far only safe mode stays up. I tried an upgrade to Win 8.1 from safe mode, but it said My Win 8.1 was 64 bit and the Win 7 on the laptop was 32 bit. That is why I got the Win 7 installation disc, but now I cannot try it since I cannot get back into safe mode. I was going to try the method described at Install Windows 7 in safe mode - Windows 7 Help Forums and see if it works, but it involves F8 which is not working. That is why I am researching other methods that do not involve logging on to set anything up.

I am pretty sure it is a Toshiba Slimline. I can check tomorrow. It is a bit heavy and I bike to school so I left it locked up there.

That would be great plus can you tell me if you have any access to the desktop at all or does it just crash?

I should be able to get to the desktop for up to 10 minutes through the command prompt after booting from the installation disc.

OK, it is a Toshiba Satellite. The only way I have of getting into Windows is through Safe Mode. Yes, if I could get into Windows, I could add Safe Mode to the boot menu. So I am still stuck.

If you can boot to safe mode, open a command prompt
  • Win key type cmd <enter>
  • Type CD C:\Boot <enter>
  • Type bootrec /fixmbr <enter>
  • Type bootrec /fixboot <enter>
  • Type bootrec /RebuildBcd <enter
  • Reboot

I will try that tomorrow night. I will have to use the command prompt from the Win 7 or 8.1 DVD to get to the command prompt.

That worked, but now in both safe mode and normal mode all I get is a black screen. In safe mode it says Safe Mode in all 4 corners of the black screen and Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) at the top of the black screen. I tried inserting the Win 7 Installation Disc and got a disc image next to the mouse pointer, but nothing happened.

I found that I could start tasks in safe mode after ctl alt del and using task manager. I schedules a dskchk /r on reboot and it is running now.

Like i said previously Jowi I'm not even sure you can install an os under safe mode. If you have a dsk containing windows 7 enterprise edition could you not simply boot from that and install as a clean install?

Yes, I am not sure if I can install from safe mode, but all installations from the DVDs have failed due to the system crashing. chkdsk found no bad sectors. I tried running setup from the Win 7 Installation DVD from command prompt in Safe mode, but it says the version is incompatible with my Windows Installation. I plan on looking for a 32 bit install disc. I don't know what else I can do.

Chkdsk isn't really for bad sector detection. I would grab of copy of Hiren boot disc and run seatools to test the disk and memtest as well.

I did not find any seatools on that disc, but I did do some memory checks. It would crash during the tests though. Only safe mode stays up. I assume that if I format the hard drive in safe mode, I can install the 64 bit Windows 7 or 8.1 fresh even though it has the 32 bit version of Windows 7 on it now. Is this correct?

Back