Windows 7 I can update my PC all I want

Veegertx

Extraordinary Member
In reply to
Moving my OS C: drive to a new motherboard?

since it was closed I wanted to comment a few things

TorrentG
user-online.png
said
What you want to do is clean install Windows. New motherboard means different drivers and other settings.
that is best method but Acronis will also clean install an image to a different Mobo just for reference. I wouldn't do that myself cause the If's but in a real time emergency needing to recover files or something then things have to be done.

There was all this mess about EULA and it is mostly true but
from the looks of it that was not an OEM which is tied to a specific computer, looked to be retail with his Mobo.

WAT(KB971033) will kick in if installed and start telling them that they need to activate.

OK, with that said I can update my PC all I want but I may have to call Microsoft to activate it, same Hard drive but new mobo and ram don't break the Eula. You are allowed to upgrade your stuff.

If that don't sit well with you and the EULA then when you pull your old Mobo out hit with hammer and then call MS.

I have done 100's of install to same PC both in VM and real time and it is allway's activated when I hit the desktop but I bought and run an nice OEM for that reason. SLIC 2.1 Bios and the right key and it's a done deal.

Thoughts, Comments ?

I'm not entirely sure what your trying to say here but if it's in regards to OEM licences and upgrading then yes there is way to re-activate after upgrading the mobo. Whilst this means you'll still be able to use windows and receive updates it also means however that your licence is invalid.
This means any rights you may have had as a consumer are now void. This may get you through an emergency situation but it certainly isn't recommended long term. It is strongly suggested that a new licence be obtained as soon as possible.

An install is tied to 1 PC regardless thats what the Eula means.
We are not violating Eula if we upgrade stuff but hit the right point and it trigger not Genuine.

That means you can change the motherboard to a different type on a retail although that will force the Windows is not Genuine and you will have to call them to activate. You might have to do that if Mobo quit working.

Put in the same Mobo and it doesn't trigger. Seen that at work on a Dell

On another PC I service change ram to more sticks and a new dvd burner and it doesn't trigger but later they got virus so I also changed the drive since it was small and I had to call them and they activated. We are still on same PC remember.

With XP there was like 7 times you could call and I don't know if that is same with Win 7

Last edited:
Different licences mean different things:

Full Retail licence: This means windows can be re-installed as many times as one likes on any machine as long as it's running on one machine only. After 5 installs activation will require the phone method.

OEM Licence: This means the licence is tied to one machine and one machine only (usually the motherboard is considered 'the machine' in this respect). It doesn't matter how many times it's re-installed as long as it's on that same machine and as long no hardware is changed then activation remains automatic even after 5 installs.
Users have noted that if the motherboard requires changing due to a fault then the activation key becomes invalid as the new motherboard is 'seen' by the os as a new machine. Users have discovered that to get round this they can use the phone activation method although what they do not realise is the licence is now not worth the paper it's written on. So yes the activation will be successful but the licence will remain invalid negating any claims that could be made against it.
It should also be noted that changing other hardware can also invalidate a OEM licence. Changing a CPU more than twice or a new graphics card can also trigger re-activation and it's prudent to check the licence before going ahead with any changes..

Last edited:
Back