Windows 10 I CANNOT change the language on my Surface Pro 2 from Spanish to English.

I got the surface from someone in Spain and it's stock setting is Spanish. I didn't have issues changing the language to english when I got it. I believe there have been times before where after an update everything was reset to stock language-wise. I didn't have issues changing the language back.

Well, I did the anniversary update and my computer is in Spanish, but after settings everything to english and restarting more than once it was still in Spanish. I even deleted the Spanish line so the English language is the only one there. There is no option to remove the English language line even though I manually added it. There is no option to set it as default. I'm just confused at this point.

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

I'm not an expert on this, but I do have some experience as I had customers using Spanish language and keyboard on W7 & W8 machines. Others may have a better solution and they will chime in hopefully if they do.

The question that comes to mind here is that when you ran the W10 AU v1607 upgrade, did you remember to select the native language AND keyboard layout in the W10 install program to English-US? If you did, and it is still failing, that's most likely a fault of the v1607 update itself and there is no fixing that. 99% of the folks here and in my customer base who attempt a W10 pre-AU upgrade from either versions v10240 or v1511 have 1 or several glitches, and this could be one that I have not yet heard about-and we've seen hundreds of different ones, fail. The only solution I can offer at this time, is that because of the huge number of failures with the v1607 update is that we are advising people to backup their computers, and download the MCT tool directly from Microsoft website here: Windows 10
This tool will provide bootable W10 install media on either DVD or USB stick, and what's required is called a CLEAN INSTALL of W10. Retest your computer and see if the problem is solved. If it is; you are now on v1607 and all set to go! :up: Reinstall all your programs and copy your data back over from external media and you are golden.:cheerful:

Let us know if that works out for you, and sorry you are experiencing problems with the AU v1607 update.

Best of luck,:)
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

I'm not an expert on this, but I do have some experience as I had customers using Spanish language and keyboard on W7 & W8 machines. Others may have a better solution and they will chime in hopefully if they do.

The question that comes to mind here is that when you ran the W10 AU v1607 upgrade, did you remember to select the native language AND keyboard layout in the W10 install program to English-US? If you did, and it is still failing, that's most likely a fault of the v1607 update itself and there is no fixing that. 99% of the folks here and in my customer base who attempt a W10 pre-AU upgrade from either versions v10240 or v1511 have 1 or several glitches, and this could be one that I have not yet heard about-and we've seen hundreds of different ones, fail. The only solution I can offer at this time, is that because of the huge number of failures with the v1607 update is that we are advising people to backup their computers, and download the MCT tool directly from Microsoft website here: Windows 10
This tool will provide bootable W10 install media on either DVD or USB stick, and what's required is called a CLEAN INSTALL of W10. Retest your computer and see if the problem is solved. If it is; you are now on v1607 and all set to go! :up: Reinstall all your programs and copy your data back over from external media and you are golden.:cheerful:

Let us know if that works out for you, and sorry you are experiencing problems with the AU v1607 update.

Best of luck,:)
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks for the reply! I've had Windows 10 installed on this computer since it was released. I haven't used the surface for a while now (1 month?) so when I used it a few days ago there were a lot of upgrade to install. I installed all the upgrades including the anniversary update where it reset everything and it started with the big letters saying " HELLO. LET ME SHOW YOU BLA BLA BLA". This is when I noticed everything was in Spanish. This happened to me in previous big updates, but this was the time where I couldn't successfully change the language back to english.

I did notice that it didn't need to download english language packs, but I did need to add "English" manually to the list which I moved up above the "stock" Spanish language that was there.

The keyboard successfully types in English and the month displays in English on the welcome screen and in Windows. I even deleted "Spanish" from the list since before it was right below "English". Now the only language that is displayed is English and everything is still in Spanish. All the words for things like "My Documents", "Computer", etc. are all in Spanish. The search bar on the taskbar displays some writing that is in Spanish. Everything is in Spanish! Still! It's driving me crazy :wound:

AND the settings window crashes on me all the time now. Before this, I haven't had a single crash before this.

Back