Windows 7 I can't attach files to emails thru site email, thunderbird email or MSMail email

Carl Osterhoudt

Whenever I try to attach a file to an email in any email client, Windows 7 gives me the message "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." and a box saying "Close Program". This has been a problem for several months but Windows has not notified me that a solution is available. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Thanks.

Most obvious would be that you have attachments closed = locked. Might be your AV / security software.

What Browser are you using? Check settings?

I have looked at both my browsers (Firefox and Chrome) and my Anti Virus (Norton) software settings and can't find an "Attachments closed=locked" setting. I don't think it is the browser because it occurs in multiple email (Thunderbird and MS Mail) programs as well as in both Firefox and Chrome browsers when trying to use any sites email. AV seems possible. Any other ideas? Where can I find the attachments setting you refer to?

I did express myself in a rather simplified way, sorry 'bout that. Very commonly these issues are caused by having several security programs running = they react towards each other.

Try taking all security off. With Windows 7 you are safe for several hours, if you have the latest updates. If it works, add piece by piece.

I have only Norton AV on the PC. I turned the smart firewall and anit-virus autoprotect off, which gave me warning messages BTW, and tried to send an email containing an attachment. I got the same error message when I tried to attach the file so I don't think it is the AVSW. Any other thoughts?

Whenever I try to attach a file to an email in any email client, Windows 7 gives me the message "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." and a box saying "Close Program". This has been a problem for several months but Windows has not notified me that a solution is available. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Thanks.

It sounds like Windows is the likely common denominator. As a simple first step, try running sfc /scannow from the start menu Run window.

OK, I got the RUN box up and typed 'sfc /scannow' and it just brought up something very quickly and then went back to my main screen. What are you trying to get with the scannow instruction?

I have only Norton AV on the PC. I turned the smart firewall and anit-virus autoprotect off, which gave me warning messages BTW, and tried to send an email containing an attachment. I got the same error message when I tried to attach the file so I don't think it is the AVSW. Any other thoughts?

I know from debugging that Norton often is the cause of many an issue. I'd at least try uninstalling it first as a test. This tool will help:
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us
Swop it for something like MSE which is extremely stable:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

Also to run the scannow app you'll need to find command prompt in the start menu. Right click on it and choose run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Kemical: for diagnostic purposes, is it adequate to just disable/quit Norton or do you need to uninstall?

Carl: If you're not familiar with the elevated command prompt, what kemical is referring to is type CMD in the start menu search box. That will generate a list of stuff that contains CMD. In that list, right click on CMD.EXE and select Run as administrator. That will bring up a command window with administrative privileges. In there, type sfc /scannow. If for some reason, it doesn't run there, you will get a message and the window will remain open for you to read it (a typo, like entering scf instead of sfc, or no space before the / could be the culprit, as well as lack of administrative rights).

If you still have trouble running sfc even there, try booting in safe mode with command prompt and run it there using the command prompt.

BTW, SFC takes a while to run.

Personally I'd say it would be better to fully remove it rather than disabled. Sounds a little drastic I know but if you could see a driver stack after Norton has been installed it's incredible. It has it's tentacles into everything and IMO Norton is nothing like what it used to be circa 2002 when it was considered one of the best AV suites around.

Drama is often not unwanted, nor drastic methods. It's so very easy to un- and reinstall. To stand on as clear as possible a floor is always good.

I haven't had the time to uninstall norton but I did run scannow. Its been a long time since I used DOS so it took a little reviewing to get CMD.EXE up in administrator mode. Anyway, it says the "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.".
I'll try uninstalling Norton today and see if that makes any difference.

Back
Top Bottom