Windows 7 I create a free WiFi hotspot with My WIFI Router app. Does that mean I don't need to buy a router an

Status
Not open for further replies.

qfwf

I create a free WiFi hotspot with My WIFI Router app. Does that mean I don't need to buy a router any more?

Hi,
If you mean you created a WiFi hotspot with an App on your Cell phone; then the answer is NO.. I've tried using several of these so-called "hotspot apps" on my Android based phone as well as on iPhones--they don't work for me. Also, most Cell. phones today can only handle 1 connection at a time; modern wifi routers (802.11n and 802.11ac) can handle from 50-500 concurrent sessions. In laymen's terms that means you can have up to 500 laptops/tables/cell phones all running in your home on a wifi router at once sharing one single broadband Internet connection! Cell. phone hotspot apps can't even handle 1 device properly such as a laptop.

If it's important for you to be mobile with 2 or more concurrently wifi connected devices when you leave your home or apartment you will need to get what we call a Mobile Broadband Hotspot such as a JetPack from Verizon or similar ISP. They run about $40 per month and if you already have Verizon, that's $40 per month on top of what you are already paying for your monthly Cell. service bill. fyi.

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

BIGBEARJEDI.... just FYI.....
These single post guys come here every so often and spam the forum about this MyWifiRouter nonsense.
So your reply, while comprehensive and articulate, was probably a waste of time and effort.

It may be true that we'll never hear from the OP again but I don't concur with what Bigbearjedi posted so I will post my experience in case someone else reads this thread while searching for info on the same subject.

First off, I don't believe the OP was talking about using his phone as a Hotspot, he was talking about using one of the various windows apps out there that allow you to use your laptop or other wifi enabled computer to create a wifi hotspot in order to share that computer's internet connection with other computers. If that's all the OP wants from a router then the answer to his question is that he doesn't need to buy a router. Just keep in mind that your laptop now becomes a router, it needs to be on and running for any client devices to be able to access the internet.

As far as using an app on an Android phone (I have no experience with iPhones), I use an app called PDANet on my Android phone (have used this app on multiple phones over a 5 year period or so) and it works great to share an internet connection with other devices. I don't know off hand the max number of clients that can connect but I have had 6 or more devices connected to my phone's wifi hotspot with no problem whatsoever. I regularly use my phone's hotspot in my RV when I travel and typically have 2 Smart TVs and 2 laptops connected.

If you follow the history of these types of post, it's the same content, only sign up and post one time about this wifi hot spot software that's shady at best is how. I'm not the only one who thinks these types of posts are spam.

'My WiFi Router' is a damn pain in the ass. It's spam and should be removed.

If you follow the history of these types of post, it's the same content, only sign up and post one time about this wifi hot spot software that's shady at best is how. I'm not the only one who thinks these types of posts are spam.
Yeah..... what he said.
'My WiFi Router' is a damn pain in the ass. It's spam and should be removed.
AND what he said.
And just FYI, so are virtually all of the posts about converting various mail formats to .pst format and those often link to some crap software. The MyWiFI Router posts now leave out the links as they've learned they can't get away with it so now they're subtle spammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back