Windows 11 I have used Macrium Reflect

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I have used Macrium Reflect for years and being free it lacked encryption. I just found that out b/c it is EOL for free.
I keep trying different ones and don't know whether to stay with Macrium and pay or go elsewhere.
I tried Windows B+R and it was fine but heard it is not long for this world. I am 83 so we are in a race.
Others like Paragon were a disaster. There are two others but they are similar to Macrium and they are in countries at odds with ours. I don't know if that makes a differences -I don't mind buying a pen from them but a backup is sensitive. I guess as a disabled vet I am biased.
Money is a factor so what would you do? Thanks.

I have also been a long time user of Macrium free. But, version 8 free seems to be lacking the ability to make an image and restore the image. Previous versions provided a way to boot to a "mini windows" on a USB stick. Then the entire system could be restored to the PC. I have been unable to find a way to create a "mini windows" bootable USB stick in version 8 free. Another thing that irks me is that the website seems to deliberately obscure the cost of the paid version(s). Anyway, I am looking at other options.

Regards, Jim

I made my rescue media by opening Macrium then with a flash drive in, clicked on create rescue media. That is what I boot off of with F8 when restarting. It is still working as usual till 1-2024.
I have tried a lot, but they have been difficult especially paragon. I think Aomei and Easeus are available or pay Macrium $69.
Let me know if you have any luck with a backup and restore program.

I made my rescue media by opening Macrium then with a flash drive in, clicked on create rescue media. That is what I boot off of with F8 when restarting. It is still working as usual till 1-2024.
I have tried a lot, but they have been difficult especially paragon. I think Aomei and Easeus are available or pay Macrium $69.
Let me know if you have any luck with a backup and restore program.
I have been trying to get EaseUS Todo working. No luck so far. I am also trying to use the Windows programs. You need to download a Windows app called Media Creation Tool for your version of Windows. I installed it on a flash drive. It boots to screens with several options, one of which is to restore an image.

Regards, Jim

Windows Backup and restore is not long for this world so ditch it.
Try YouTube as to how to use EaseUS Todo. That and Aomei seem the easiest choices.
I too had trouble with these freebies but keep trying and let me know if you are successful.
Peter

Windows Backup and restore is not long for this world so ditch it.
Try YouTube as to how to use EaseUS Todo. That and Aomei seem the easiest choices.
I too had trouble with these freebies but keep trying and let me know if you are successful.
Peter
Well, I have been able to make a backup image (I think) of my laptop system. But, it is not obvious how to restore that image to my laptop. I think the only way to restore an image is to boot to a "mini windows" from a DVD or USB stick and then install the image to the laptop. Anyway, I will continue to work on it tomorrow.

Regards, Jim

Yes, always boot from an external drive. In Windows case it is a DVD but usually a flash drive. BUT like I said Windows Backup and Restore is not a program I would rely on - even Windows advised against it.
Find another backup and restore and use YouTube to see about how it works. Because you are familiar with Macrium you might pay for it. Remember when recovering an image to insert a flash drive you created in Macrium where it says other tasks - Create rescue media.
Maybe a more experienced member will join and be better help for you.
Good luck

Yes, always boot from an external drive. In Windows case it is a DVD but usually a flash drive. BUT like I said Windows Backup and Restore is not a program I would rely on - even Windows advised against it.
Find another backup and restore and use YouTube to see about how it works. Because you are familiar with Macrium you might pay for it. Remember when recovering an image to insert a flash drive you created in Macrium where it says other tasks - Create rescue media.
Maybe a more experienced member will join and be better help for you.
Good luck
Well, I started to create a bootable USB Emergency disk. But, A message came up that said the free version does not support clone or system transfer. So, if I have to pay, I might as well pay for Macrium.

Regards, Jim

I just went to Macrium - "other tasks" and clicked 'create rescue media' and it worked. maybe b/c I already have it installed. if I reinstall it might not work, I do not know.
I think getting Macrium free or paid if you must, is the best option.

I have used Macrium Reflect for years and being free it lacked encryption. I just found that out b/c it is EOL for free.
I keep trying different ones and don't know whether to stay with Macrium and pay or go elsewhere.
I tried Windows B+R and it was fine but heard it is not long for this world. I am 83 so we are in a race.
Others like Paragon were a disaster. There are two others but they are similar to Macrium and they are in countries at odds with ours. I don't know if that makes a differences -I don't mind buying a pen from them but a backup is sensitive. I guess as a disabled vet I am biased.
I use Macrium regularly without issue. I think its a good value (not a paid promotion or anything). The developers update it regularly and it tends to be extremely reliable.

Well, I have been able to create a bootable USB stick for Macrium v8. Everything seems to be working correctly. I was using a USB DVD burner in my previous attempt. I guess the DVD Burner wouldn't boot for some reason (Yes, I had the DVD first in line in the boot sequence). Anyway, I guess I will stay with Macrium free for now.

Regards, Jim
What made Paragon a disaster? I used Paragon Disk Manager several years ago and was pleased with it. The Paragon free "Community version" is tempting.

Regards, Jim

Well, I have been able to create a bootable USB stick for Macrium v8. Everything seems to be working correctly. I was using a USB DVD burner in my previous attempt. I guess the DVD Burner wouldn't boot for some reason (Yes, I had the DVD first in line in the boot sequence). Anyway, I guess I will stay with Macrium free for now.

Regards, Jim

What made Paragon a disaster? I used Paragon Disk Manager several years ago and was pleased with it. The Paragon free "Community version" is tempting.

Try it if you like it. I had issues but maybe it’ll work for you.

Back