Windows 8 I need more information (web sites etc.) on upgrading win 8 to 8.1 w/o a product key

JAMES MCDONALD

I bought a win 8 computer W/O A PRODUCT KEY. I did upgrade it to 8.1. I need web sites or any other information on how to reinstall win 8.1 or even repair 8.1 WITHOUT A PRODUCT KEY. I found one web site by Paul Thurrott but it required a RETAIL product key.

Jim

Last edited:
You have the following options in Win 8.1..................
1. Do a system Image backup on an external hard drive.
What it does is to mirror the entire system at the time of the backup is created. This is very much like a "restore point" of the system restore. You can restore the system when it goes down. Do this regularly. I do it once a week. ( My system went down once and I successfully used the system image backup files to do the restore.)
2. Create a repair disk. After a system Image backup is completed, you will be given an option to create a repair disk. You only have to do it once. No need to do it every time after system image backup.

How ?
Go to Charm bar > Start > type file history > select File History > bottom left, select System Image Backup

3rd option...............
Create a Recovery drive on a flash drive...........
Control panel > Recovery > Create a recovery drive.......

You can actually factory reset your PC from within Windows without having to reactivate. Control Panel>>Update and Recovery>>Recovery>>Remove everything and start over.

Most new OEM PC's don't come with a product key sticker using Windows 8 for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using WindowsForum

Back