Windows XP I-Tunes is rubbish

MAXIMUM

Angry I-Tunes is rubbish
I have the 30Gb video I-Pod, it has about 250 albums and about 8 movies on it, there's around 9Gb of hard disk space left.

As most of you know, your I-Pod will mirror what's saved on your hard drive on your computer in your I-Tunes saved data folder.

Also as most of you know, unless you don't mind having hundreds of disorganised files, you have to put all albums or compilations into 'Playlists'

Compiling playlists takes some considerable time, particularly if you want to put CD albums by various artists into a playlist, you have to search all through your music list in I-Tunes to drag and drop those files into a playlist.

When you connect your I-Pod to your computer, most of us choose to auto-update. However, if your playlists are lost on your computer, they will be lost on your I-Pod as well.

I recently done a fresh install of Win XP on my computer after swapping motherboard and case. This meant I lost all my I-Tunes playlists. I didn't actually lose all my m4a music files as I'd saved those on another hard disk.

I felt secure though, that I could restore my playlists cos I-Tunes backup said I could backup to DVD and that all music files and playlists would be saved and restored.

It took me four DVD's to backup my stuff, I installed latest version of I-Tunes onto my fresh install of Win XPand fed the first backup DVD into my DVD drive (and just by way of mentioning, I-Tunes won't recognise a SATA optical drive, only a PATA drive - more crap).

It took 40 minutes but all four DVD's loaded their m4a files into my designated I-Tunes storage folder.

But....... playlists were NOT restored

There's a folder showing on the left hand side of the I-Tunes screen saying 'Restored I-Tunes playlists', but clicking on it shows a blank screen, right clicking on it and selecting 'show' (or similar) also shows nothing.

It takes a helluva lotta time to create 220-odd playlists and it would appear that every time we decide to wipe our hard drive for whatever reason, if we use I-Tunes and an I-Pod, we have to do it again.

I am going to say right now that I-Tunes is completely and utterly the ****tiest piece of crap software I have ever ever used.

Why doesn't this software give an option to automatically create a playlist when you insert a CD?

Typical Apple crap.

Yes, I'm incensed, really, really annoyed.

And while we're at it, my I-pod does not:

1) Allow me to change the battery myself unless i search the web and invalidate the warranty opening the thing up.
2) Does not have radio as standard.
3) Does not have a voice recorder as standard
4) Scratches really easily

As good as the I-Pod sounds, as good as it looks, I've got the pox with it.

Mostly because of I-Tunes crap software.

I'm seriously considering selling this thing and maybe getting a Creative Zen or something.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Yes, I'm annoyed :mad:

lol. Sorry to laugh but you may want to try Windows Media Player. You can sync with WMP using a program called DOPISP which is what I use. I also agree iTunes features are lacking in some areas.

Seeing how you amazingly enough fail to spell iTunes and iPod correctly, I really can understand how you can experience so many problems with those too. Illiteracy = less documentation read.

Your social skills need some polishing Grife.
Susana
Yeah what she said...

By the way I have an 80Gb gen.6 and i also HATE iTunes.
I also have a 20Gb iRiver H10 and I love it. It is easy to sink music and photos but no video :( I bought the iPod to plug into my Pioneer receiver in my truck and after getting used to it I like it for that. But for listening to music...cutting grass, or when I ride my FATBOY, I would much rather use my iRiver. The controls are very easy to use without having to look at what your doing and that is helpful while running 100mph+ :D
The one below is not mine but is is just like it.
IRiver_H10.jpg

lol. Sorry to laugh but you may want to try Windows Media Player. You can sync with WMP using a program called DOPISP which is what I use. I also agree iTunes features are lacking in some areas.

THANKS... I think I'll like it, just playing with it now and so far so good. I'm using it to sync my iPod right now. I like the fact that you don't have to think about it..it just allows WMP to sync with your iPod..nothing more...nothing less.

Still using it (DSOP) after a year and still works. I heard not to update your iPod's software or it won't work anymore.

iTunes

Although I, persoanlly, have no use for anything that starts with a lower case "i". Susana is on target with her (are you a "her"?) comment. We can all discuss our preferences and dislikes without any personal attacks on anyone else for their preferences,........or spelling errors.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

I finally decided to quit using iTunes when I installed the RTM the other day. While WMP is a little clumsier in terms of its interface I much prefer it to a program that has to convert windows media files into m4a to play, installs a butt-load of network services that chew up RAM and bandwidth, and completely obliterates any form of organization in my music library. (I am fully aware that WMP does some of these things to a certain degree but not like iTunes) I really don't know why I insisted on using it as long as I did. For those of you that can hang with all those drawbacks without getting utterly frustrated, more power to you.

I really would just assume see a brand new media player from an underdog company that blows them all out of the water but that's another topic.

Hmmm... maybe its time I revisited Creative Media Player. Anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited:
BTW I am a former Apple employee, and I even hate iTunes! :)

On windows, i use Winamp to manage my iPod. It supports podcasts, playlists, you can export the contents of your iPod to your PC (very useful!) and it does not care if you sync your iPod with other music Libraries like iTunes does. Here is a quick tutorial on using Winamp to manage your iPod in Windows..

:)

1. First, make sure to enable disk use on your iPod by connecting it and opening iTunes (if it doesn’t auto-launch). Select your iPod and then click the Settings tab. Scroll down to the Options section and remove the check from the box labeled Open iTunes when this iPod is attached. Then place a check in the Enable disk use box (if it isn’t checked already). Click Apply.
  2. Exit out of iTunes, and confirm that your iPod has now mounted itself as a drive.
  3. Download and install Winamp if you haven’t yet. If you opt to create a custom installation, make sure to leave the iPod support selection in Portable Media Player Support (which is a part of the Winamp Library) checked.
  4. Launch Winamp and if the Media Library window doesn’t appear, select View and then Media Library.
  5. In the left column of the Media Library window, select your iPod from the Portables list. Any files currently on your iPod will be displayed.To add music to your iPod, open the Playlist window, add some songs to it and then right-click those songs. From the pop-up menu select Send to: and then choose your iPod.
  6. You’ll see a percentage status indicator as the files are sent to your iPod.
  7. The files listed on your iPod may not refresh on their own. Just click Portables…
  8. … and then click your iPod again. All of the files you just sent to your iPod will now be listed.
  9. You can eject your iPod right from within Winamp by clicking the Eject button in the bottom right corner of the Media Library window.
BTW this works with Windows 7 and XP. I have not tested with Vista, but I am sure it should be the same if not very simular instructions.

Back