I want to set up a second wireless router on a Server 2012 PC

Ebm9000

Hello.

I have a spare wireless router that I want to attach to a Server 2012 PC using its spare Ethernet port (it connects to the internet over Wifi). I plug the cable into the Internet port on the router, and the other end into the PC's Ethernet port, and share the connection. No Dice. I share the wifi connection; No Dice. I use third party software; no dice. I try a DHCP scope. It gets an IP address, but no internet connection. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Because I do the same thing in a computer running Ubuntu, and I only have to go into the ETH0 settings and share IPV4 and that's it. Internet for all. Thank you!

what make and model router?
plug it in then log in to the server as an admin and see if it can detect that something is plugged in... or that the network is even switched on

It is a Linksys, and the server does see it, but does/can not share it's internet connection with it. It gives it an APIPA address instead of a regular IP

It is a physical machine, running Server 2012. X64 (I obtained a spare product key from school [Computer class gave away a bu
nch of old computers]). It has the DHCP role enabled, and it also has File Services partially highlighted, but oddly, there's nothing checked under it (so assume it's not enabled).

Even if I assign a static IP that isn't in the APIPA range, still no internet.

So you would want to plug the Ethernet cable from the server to the WAN port on the wireless router. Second you need to configure the DHCP to give leases on the NIC the router is plugged into. Then you need to bridge the NICs on the server. With this setup the router will hand out DHCP on it's own scope. You could also plug the server NIC into a LAN port on the router, on the router disable DHCP and let the server hand out addresses as well, just make sure to set the gateway DHCP option to point to the server address.

1. How to I configure the DHCP server on the PC to give out IP addresses specifically on the Ethernet network?

2. When you say "just make sure to set the gateway DHCP option to point to the server address", what do you mean by that?

thanks!

1. How to I configure the DHCP server on the PC to give out IP addresses specifically on the Ethernet network?

2. When you say "just make sure to set the gateway DHCP option to point to the server address", what do you mean by that?

thanks!
Say the router is 192.168.137.1 and the PC .137.2; Do you mean to set the default gateway on the router to .137.2? I'm not sure if this is possible on the model I have.

Back
Top Bottom