Windows 7 ICS doesn't seem to work like it did in Vista

RobG

I'm trying to get ICS to work in W7 and it's not. I'm on the verge of having to go back to Vista.

Basically, I share my Verizon 3G card in my Dell laptop via the RJ45 port. I cable that to the WAN port on a wireless router, so that anything else that connects to that router, cabled or wifi, can share this connection (like my Wii).

From the router, I run another cable to my work laptop. I have ICS enabled in the connection properties of the 3G card, and in Vista this works great.

In W7, I see that the work laptop has been assigned an IP, gateway IP, etc, and I can ping the gateway (192.168.10.1) just fine. But I get no 'net.

I went deeper into the ICS settings and checked all the boxes for the various servies (www, ftp, etc), which had always been checked in Vista. Still no luck.

I looked in the Firewall settings and didn't see anything that might help, and even turned the firewall off. Still no luck.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Rob

Whew! I have a similar issue, Windows 7 RTM Laptop - Sharing internet to another Windows 7 PC and a Centos 5.5 Box. It worked yesterday. I am investigating this urgently - My hosting service is being affected. I will update as soon as i have an answer.

I setup a friends win7 the other day for ICS and its very straight forward, once the main access (USB Dongle or Modem) is shared just check the host ethernet is 192.168.0.1 (or variations) and the client pc is on auto detect IP on their ethernet card, should be 192.168.0.2 (matching host variation) when working correctly on a crossover

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem. Here is my setup. My CDMA connection is shared. IP on network adapter is 192.168.0.1. Linksys router LAN address is 192.168.0.254 and it is set as 'router', not 'gateway'. My system has xp, vista and W7 installed. ICS works perfectly on xp and vista, but not W7. I can connect to xbox live through router (wired) and to the internet with my laptop (wireless). However, when using W7 none of this works. All settings are exactly the same on all 3 OS's. So what is it that W7 is doing (or not doing)? Someone please help. BTW, using the 360 as extender works with W7 like it does with other OS's. Just not ICS.

Back
Top Bottom