Windows 7 If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

I think you may have gone a different route already (PCMover) but wanted to answer your questions. Win 7 Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise give you the ability to download a feature called XP Mode which is a virtual machine that runs a fully licensed copy of XP.

There are also tools you can use that will create an image of your XP disk and then use that image as a virtual machine. http://www.techrepublic.com/picture...g-windows-xp-system-into-a-virtual-machine/1/

The problem with both of these solutions is that you end up still running XP so you really haven't upgraded.

Strollin,

I have already installed Win 7 64 Ultimate on a hard drive and installed the virtual machine and XP Pro. My main concern was running Outlook Express. I have the store folder on G drive in folder OE. Running the virtual XP, it won't let me select that folder as my store folder. If I could make a virtual machine out of my existing XP system and run it under Win 7 when needed, that would solve my problem. Eventually I will upgrade my other software to Win 7 64 bit versions.

The only drawback I've heard regarding using PCMover is that it takes many hours to do the transfer. Reviews I have read say it would be faster to re-install. How long did it take for your stuff to transfer?

It took 3 hrs 10 minutes to install Win7 64 Ultimate with all 138 updates. PCmover took 41 minutes to finish, but only moved 18 of the over 100 programs installed in XP Pro. Have not yet gone back into PCmover to use the Advanced selection. Just wanted to take a break.

I think you may have gone a different route already (PCMover) but wanted to answer your questions. Win 7 Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise give you the ability to download a feature called XP Mode which is a virtual machine that runs a fully licensed copy of XP.

There are also tools you can use that will create an image of your XP disk and then use that image as a virtual machine. http://www.techrepublic.com/picture...g-windows-xp-system-into-a-virtual-machine/1/

The problem with both of these solutions is that you end up still running XP so you really haven't upgraded.

Stroliin,

I may give this method a try as I do have a Seagate 750GB Hybrid drive with Win7 64 Ultimate installed and also the virtual machine and XP Pro. Did check the link and it looks a little daunting. Wish there was a Youtube video showing the process. :)

Strollin,

Was easier than I thought to create a VHD. Downloaded DISK2VHD from MS website and it created a 168GB file for my XP primary drive. Had to rename the .vhdx extension to .vhd for the Virtual PC machine to see the file in Win7.

Well, no success with the XP Pro VHD because it was larger than 127GB. Should have read about that first when using Disk2VHD. :-(

Back
Top Bottom