Windows 10 If your install hangs with Windows 10 build 15042, here's a workaround

ragnarok1968

Article (Neowin.net) If your install hangs with Windows 10 build 15042, here's a workaround

Windows 10 build 15042 was released to the Fast ring last Friday, it's the first Creators Update build without a watermark and expiry date. Since then, however, some people have been having trouble installing the build, not uncommon for the Insider previews. Microsoft posted a workaround to get the install completed, but it requires a bit of work, which also includes a mandatory rollback to the build you attempted to upgrade from.

so here's how to fix this issue:

1. Manually reboot your PC if it “hangs” at the boot logo during the first attempt to install build 15042
  2. Allow your PC to successfully roll back to your previous OS build
  3. Log into your PC and open a Command Prompt (Admin) window:
    Note: You MUST do this in Command Prompt, NOT PowerShell!
    - Click Start
    - Type Command Prompt
    - Right-click Command Prompt (desktop app) in the results list
    - Select Run as Administrator
    - Click Yes to confirm
  4. One line at a time, paste these commands into the command prompt window.
    Press enter after each line:
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\setup\upgrade\nsimigrationroot /f

netsh int ipv6 set locality state=disabled

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nsi\{eb004a01-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\28 /f
  5. Close the Command prompt window
  6. Reboot your PC
  7. Re-scan for updates and re-attempt the install
Completing the above steps should allow you to proceed and install build 15042 as expected; but If you encounter any additional issues, Microsoft wants to know about it.

I can say that last night this was a problem I had. I reinstalled Windows 10. this info wasn't available last night but if you DO install 15042, which seems to be the final build for the creators update as Micorosoft is in bug smashing mode to get this Redstone 2/Creators update ready for prime time in late March, April time frame.

** this begs me to ask; even though they add new features, why do we get these builds that can't boot without some patch or workaround? It feels "as if", Microsoft is constantly rebuilding the entire OS. I would think once you get the booter/boot loader set, it shouldn't be an ongoing issue build after build or a semi-recurring issue over the long stretch.

Back