Windows 8 image software:recognizition of partitions

Scharminkel

How does an image software like Macrium Reflect recognize the partitions on the destination disk at restore?
Is it by drive letter, label,size or location?

Hi

I'm not sure, on the software I've used it seems to know where the restore goes but gives you the opportunity to choose a location if you want to.

As for using drive letters that's really hard to say because when I boot into my restore disk the drive letters have all changed from what they were when booting into Windows.

To avoid confusion I name my drives i.e., C:\Windows 8, C:\Windows 10, D:\Games etc.
I also take note of the exact size of the drives, this can help identify them if the drive letters come up different.

Note that both of my C:\ drives are on different hard drives but both will appear as C:\ when you boot into that version of Windows.

Both of my backup programs, EaseUS TODO, and Paragon seem to default to the partition they have backed up but show the other drives as well.

I think EaseUS TODO is the easiest backup software that I've used, it literally takes only a few clicks to backup or restore your system image.

I've made 17 system images since I started running Windows 10 and restored 6 times, all successfully.

Maybe someone here really does know how they remember which drives they backed up, it may be by hard drive name and partition position, but I don't really know.

Mike

To avoid confusion I name my drives i.e., C:\Windows 8, C:\Windows 10, D:\Games etc.
I also take note of the exact size of the drives, this can help identify them if the drive letters come up different.

I do this anyway and think everyone should get into the habit of renaming there drives. It's just good PC practice.

Back