Windows 10 In desperate need of help with this nvlddmkm bug since Windows 8.1 now to Win10...

Squall

Guys, this is ridiculous. I'm 100% positive this is NOT a hardware issue but at this point, it almost seems like getting a new computer entirely would fix this retarded issue.

Before I explain my history on this, I'll post my system.

Intel Core i5 4690k @3.50Ghz
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 1600Mhz RAM
EVGA GTX 660 FTW Sig2 2GB GDDR5
Samsung 840 EVO 128GB SSD (Windows C:\ Drive)
ASUS Maximus VII HERO Motherboard
Corsair HX750i Modular PSU

So I had this issue on WIndows 8.1 a long time ago which I was pretty sure I fixed but don't know how. I didn't have a TDR for months, and then like an idiot I decided to update my drivers. (My driver version I was on was 347.52) Worst mistake I've ever done. Updated to the newest drivers and the TDR nvlddmkm bullcrap came back.

I called EVGA up and they said maybe something was messed up in the OS, since we both know it's not the card, as I've RMA'd it before thinking it was and I had the same issue with multiple PSU's and GPU's.

Then I tried to Rollback to 347.52 and the issue STILL started happening, so I said screw it and upgraded to Windows 10. Clean install and everything. Guess what, STILL HAPPENING!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with these drivers?

Steps I've taken:

Downclocked card with MSI Afterburner - FAILED
Tried lowering Memory Clock - FAILED
TdrDelay settings in Registry - FAILED
Updated Realtek HD Audio Drivers - FAILED
Upped Voltage on GPU - FAILED
Rolled Back to other Drivers - FAILED
Uninstalled Drivers with DDU in safe mode - FAILED
Turned off Hardware Acceleration in Chrome - FAILED

My card and CPU are NOT overheating either. They're quiet cold in fact. 40 c on CPU in games, and 60-75c on GPU in game.

This is mainly happening on the one game I play the most. An MMO called Aion. It's old but still very popular.

Amongst so many other popular "solutions".

When the nvlddmkm error occurs, my Cards clocks go from 1071mhz down to 526 mhz and are stuck like that unless I reboot the PC.

I used to use EVGA Precision but when I updated my drivers back on Windows 8.1, with it, when I'd load up Aion, the login screen would be black unless I shut it down. Used MSI Afterburner and never had the issue. I use ShadowPlay and all that good stuff, and never had this issue before.

Even a System Restore WOULDN'T FIX IT!

What, do I do!?!?

Also how is anyone using Windows 8.1 NVIDIA Drivers on Windows 10? I tried using the 353.38 but it installed and never adjusted my resolution and acted like nothing changed...

Please someone help me, I'm literally at my wits end with this.

Hate to bump guys, but this forum has always looked above and beyond for it's members, so I'd really appreciate some advice. :(

The current Nvidia driver is version 353.62 NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Windows 10 Driver WHQL have you tried that one? The present state of Nvidias drivers are dismal. I currently can use the Nvidia GPU on my system either. Luckily my laptop has two GPUs. Still waiting for them to update the driver.

I'm on the drivers before that right now, so I'm seeing how it works without MSI Afterburner. I heard that Uninstalling it could fix it...

I'd remove the hdd for a blank (install the driver you had that works) put 8.1 back on and make an boot image then run the 10 upgrade over the top but thats a major fig-about I know...
I'm seeing how it works without MSI Afterburner
hope it works out for you

I'd remove the hdd for a blank (install the driver you had that works) put 8.1 back on and make an boot image then run the 10 upgrade over the top but thats a major fig-about I know...

hope it works out for you
So... I went with no TDR last night but now, today I got 3 Display Driver Stopped Responding and Recovered and I then started hearing my audio pop and staggering, as if the nvlddmkm was gonna freeze my PC again...

I shut the game down before it could crash it but, what do I do... could a bad motherboard cause this?

The current Nvidia driver is version 353.62 NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Windows 10 Driver WHQL have you tried that one? The present state of Nvidias drivers are dismal. I currently can use the Nvidia GPU on my system either. Luckily my laptop has two GPUs. Still waiting for them to update the driver.

Updated my drivers, set my CPU Voltage to 1.25 in the bios, set my GPU Link speed to GEN 2 and PCIE as default in the BIOS and still crashing...

I'm reading to toss this damn PC out the window.

Game also crashed while in Watch_Dogs as well. I called EVGA and they must feel my pain cause they're giving me a complimentary Advanced RMA to see, once more if it's the card. If not they said they'll have to dive deeper to see if it's more than just a driver issue, but I dunno if it is.

For more information for people who are trying to help, I never had this issue on my old computer. My old Computer was the same specs except for the motherboard and CPU, and RAM. The RAM IS on the QVL of both boards and passed mem tests.

I am sure you know this but anytime you are troubleshooting, you need to get your system back to defaults and remove any overclocking.

Since it happened on 8.1 and you say you fixed it, you will probably have to go through the same process again. Since I am not that familiar with the games you mention, are you playing any recent games? If so, do they behave the same?

If you get the newest driver from Windows Update, I don't believe it has the option to remove the previous install. The 353.62 driver is available online at Nvidia, just make sure to scroll up to see the Windows 10 drivers. If you install that one manually, check the box to do a clean install.

There have been several Bios updates for some of the ASUS boards.. did yours have one?

@ Neemobeer, you might to check you post regarding your Nvidia GPU. Not sure if you were saying the Nvidia GPU did or did not work. The mobile version of that driver does seem to work on my system.

I am sure you know this but anytime you are troubleshooting, you need to get your system back to defaults and remove any overclocking.

Since it happened on 8.1 and you say you fixed it, you will probably have to go through the same process again. Since I am not that familiar with the games you mention, are you playing any recent games? If so, do they behave the same?

If you get the newest driver from Windows Update, I don't believe it has the option to remove the previous install. The 353.62 driver is available online at Nvidia, just make sure to scroll up to see the Windows 10 drivers. If you install that one manually, check the box to do a clean install.

There have been several Bios updates for some of the ASUS boards.. did yours have one?

@ Neemobeer, you might to check you post regarding your Nvidia GPU. Not sure if you were saying the Nvidia GPU did or did not work. The mobile version of that driver does seem to work on my system.

That's the thing, I downclocked it and it did absolutely nothing. And I blocked the Windows 10 Update version of the NVIDIA GPU and got the right one from NVIDIA's website. I could try seeing how EVGA Precision works but I'm not hopeful of it.

I updated my ASUS BIOS too, yes.

I also updated the Realtek HD Audio Drivers which I heard have been known to have trouble with the NVIDIA driver. I disabled all other Audio devices so that it's only my Realtek, and the only things installed from NVIDIA was the Graphics Driver and PhysX.

I have a multi-monitor , dual GTX 980 system running games like Borderlands 2 in Steam. The system did, in earlier builds, give me a Display driver stopped responding while just on the Desktop.

Currently that system has been put back to 8/7 because of Blue Screens which appear to be related to Miracast, even with the newest driver, while just on the Desktop. My games run fine, but I do not play online multiplayer games.

If you ever get any actual Blue Screens, post them in the BSOD forum.

I have a multi-monitor , dual GTX 980 system running games like Borderlands 2 in Steam. The system did, in earlier builds, give me a Display driver stopped responding while just on the Desktop.

Currently that system has been put back to 8/7 because of Blue Screens which appear to be related to Miracast, even with the newest driver, while just on the Desktop. My games run fine, but I do not play online multiplayer games.

If you ever get any actual Blue Screens, post them in the BSOD forum.

That's the thing. I NEVER get BSOD's from this. The most I get is the audio stuttering and the entire Computer locking up to when I have to force reset from my case. Never got a BSOD.

Since it happened in 8.1, you may need to change something on your motherboard. Maybe some memory is bad or some other essential component.

I don't see where you mention your type of monitor or what type of connection you are using. You might try changing one or both of those.

Have you tried the ASUS ROG forums?

ASUS Republic of Gamers [ROG] | The Choice of Champions – Overclocking, PC Gaming, PC Modding, Support, Guides, Advice

I'm using a dual monitor setup.

Main Display is my 37" VIZIO 1080p HDTV via HDMI to DVI
Second Display is my 22" AOC Monitor hooked up via DVI - DVI

Like I said earlier I fixed this issue once before on my Windows 8 Machine but it never happened with my old motherboard..

Yes I made a post on the ROG Forums the first time I had it, and they took a year and a day to reply to a post.

Also my RAM is fine, since I'm not having any BSOD's and that they've passed multiple ram tests.

You could still try changing the monitor configuration for testing. Where do you get your sound?

Back