Windows 7 Increase boot up speed: Change the Number of Processors Used at Boot Up in Windows 7

HP Deskjet

In msconfig Windows 7 is set by default for 1 processor. That strikes me as being wrong if, like me, you have a Core 2 Dual processor. I have 2 processors and not 1. You can change this in msconfig so that Windows 7 sees how many processors you have [1,2,or 4] at startup. This will speed up booting your system.

Run>type msconfig>click on 'OK'>in System Configuration select the 'Boot' tab> select 'Advanced settings'>select the 'number of processors' and use the drop down box to select how many processors your system has at its disposal. Dual Core = 2, Quad Core = 4. Click on OK in the Boot Advanced Options. In the 'Boot' tab Check the 'Make all boot settings permanent' box>Click on OK in System Configuration. Reboot your system for the changes to take effect.

Here's a link to the Vista Forums explaining it in more detail and the advantages. Boot Advanced Options - Number of Processors - Vista Forums

Information
If you have a multiple core CPU (Ex: Intel Core Duo or Quad CPU) or multiple CPUs, then this will show you how to change the Number of Processors that will be used during boot up for troubleshooting and debugging purposes to be able to determine if there is a problem with a single processor/core, or for a programmer to test their code against a single core while running on their multi-core system.

NOTE
Vista will use all your processors by default at boot up without this Number of Processors setting box checked. Using all of your available processors (cores or CPUs) during boot allows the computer to boot faster only because a multiple core CPU or multiple CPUs can handle and do more at once than a single core or CPU. Multiple cores do not actually increase the speed, but only increase the number of processor cores working on the job which in turn has the job finish quicker. If you do not have much running at startup, then you may not notice much improvement in how long it takes to startup.

Tip
People have reported that by checking this setting and selecting all of their available CPUs, they have seen a performance increase in boot up speed despite the Note above . See the example below. If it does not help, then you can do step 7 to undo this and go back to the default settings.

Selecting a lower amount of processors to use at boot up than you actually have can increase the amount boot up time causing a longer boot.

Last edited:
Old news. You can do it in Vista too.
Good tip for beginners though.

Old news indeed, I used the tip in Vista. As you say,'"a good tip for beginners" or those that simply aren't aware of it. Nonetheless, I thought it was worth mentioning.

I followed these steps, but couldn't see any difference between boot times. I'm using an Intel T2080 (Dual Core) CPU but my boot time was 88 seconds with 1 core active, and 90 seconds with 2 cores active.

I can only conclude that my CPU is not acting as any kind of bottle-neck in my boot time...

one thing i noticed though.
I have a i5 -540m running at 2.4Ghz. Did the 2core boot up from 1core using msconfig , and then the CPU clock would not step down from 2.4 ghz to say 1.4 or whatever. It would just stay at 2.4 no matter how little was going on in the computer. I am assuming that if it just stays at 2.4, it decreases my battery life.... so I put it back to 1 core boot up.

Any ideas on why this would happen?

one thing i noticed though.
I have a i5 -540m running at 2.4Ghz. Did the 2core boot up from 1core using msconfig , and then the CPU clock would not step down from 2.4 ghz to say 1.4 or whatever. It would just stay at 2.4 no matter how little was going on in the computer. I am assuming that if it just stays at 2.4, it decreases my battery life.... so I put it back to 1 core boot up.

Any ideas on why this would happen?
I've read a couple of other accounts where this "tweak" has messed up sppedstep. In any case this tweak is a myth, so everybody please dont try it, it doesnt work.

Within Windows | Tweaking Myth: Decrease boot time with msconfig

Ok so I pulled a stupid move. I went to msconfig on windows 7 ultimate.......and set the processor to all the cores (12) and then use full memory. Now when I try to boot windows it does a memory crash. Anyone know how to undo this or fix this with in DOS so I can go back to a working OS?

I have already done another part-ion for a new windows thinking I would need to start over but if I could fix the other OS that would be ideal.
I have tried repair didn't work tried about 15 times now. I have also tried going into safe mode....yes all of them get a memory dump! I have also tried system restore and it does nothing.

I know its not a hardware issues because the memory PASSES and the new partition of the new Windows 7 works perfect but also years behind on software, bookmarks, weeks of software installs and more as you know.

Also if there is an easy way to restore my old windows to the new one that would also work since I can access the files through the other partitioned windows on the same hard drive. So this maybe a way to go. Let me know your thoughts.

Please help me.....I am out of ideas and hope there is an answer out there somewhere.

Thanks.
Scott

Ok so I pulled a stupid move. I went to msconfig on windows 7 ultimate.......and set the processor to all the cores (12) and then use full memory. Now when I try to boot windows it does a memory crash. Anyone know how to undo this or fix this with in DOS so I can go back to a working OS?

I have already done another part-ion for a new windows thinking I would need to start over but if I could fix the other OS that would be ideal.
I have tried repair didn't work tried about 15 times now. I have also tried going into safe mode....yes all of them get a memory dump! I have also tried system restore and it does nothing.

I know its not a hardware issues because the memory PASSES and the new partition of the new Windows 7 works perfect but also years behind on software, bookmarks, weeks of software installs and more as you know.

Also if there is an easy way to restore my old windows to the new one that would also work since I can access the files through the other partitioned windows on the same hard drive. So this maybe a way to go. Let me know your thoughts.

Please help me.....I am out of ideas and hope there is an answer out there somewhere.

Thanks.
Scott

12 cores? sound like you have set it including "virtual" hyperthread cores

Last edited:
The default is to use all processors during boot. What you see there in msconfig is an option to _limit_ processors used to a number of your choosing. It shows "1" by default, but the processor-limiting function is not engaged unless you check the box to turn it on. No need to fiddle with this.

I know there is no need to fiddle with it thanks.
I fixed it. I installed a new part-ion of Windows 7 and went to ms config and changed the setting back.
I was just trying to speed up the boot up process.

Have a good one.

Something that actually works. ATTENTION: The guide only works if you use HDD (NOT a SSD!).
Shaved 40 seconds off my reboot time on a Quad core I920 w 6GB ram
It uses the built in defragger
64 bit will reboot more than the guide say

How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7 written by MagicAndre1981

sp170secs.pngsp129secs.png

Last edited:
To be fair my rig boots to desktop in about 25 seconds so no tweak is gonna make any improvement this end.

i got a problem with my proccesor...i have Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz,precisely my # of proccesor that i have is usually 2.but suddenly when i go to msconfig/boot/advance system..my number of proccesor cannot change into #2..anyone can help me to fix this problem..i dont no why my # of proccessor cannot be change into 2..

Back