Windows 7 Indexing-Search function confusion.

buckshot

Help would be much appreciated. OS is 64 bit. The search/indexing functions in Win 7 are somewhat confusing after XP. I have a basic understanding of the indexing function and set up procedure however cannot solve 2 problems. 1. I am prepared for a lengthy search time of folders not indexed however the search function will not find .dll files in the System 32
directory - it tries to activate the file itself and hook it to an application. 2. When the edit function is commenced in Indexing options a window opens asking for Outlook to be run and set as the default email account - I have Windows Live Mail set as the default. What has email to do with the indexing functions??
Buckshot

I am prepared for a lengthy search time of folders not indexed however the search function will not find .dll files in the System 32

The search doesn't include hidden system files.

Thanks Cybercore however the System files have been "unhidden" and are readily available to view with Windows Explorer. When the search function is activated a window appears to state "Application not found" and I think maybe the .dll is trying to hook to an application.
I have a feeling this whole mess is somehow connected to the Regsvr.exe??
I might as well give up. Hi.

Thanks Cybercore however the System files have been "unhidden" and are readily available to view with Windows Explorer.
It doesn't matter at all if you "unhide" them in folder options, view - by the way. Even when visible in explorer, their system-protected status remains.

For the rest that you report I'm just not exactly sure. When I search by name or by extension, it finds me everything I have in my user folders, .jpg .bmp .exe .ini .txt all work for me.

How do you actually search your applications that search doesn't find, by name, by extension, or how ?

I am using the full file name and extension. eg dot3msm.dll. Search locates the file
apparently but tries to also hook it to an application. The message then appears to state
the application is not available. It does not display a path to the System 32 folder.
Other files located in the System 32 are found OK. I still think this problem may be associated with Regsvr.exe. I am probably on the wrong track!!

Back